NW Express stopped working when NW Pro 2.1 was installed

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Sparks

NW Express stopped working when NW Pro 2.1 was installed

Post by Sparks »

My Nisus Writer Express 3.4.6 stopped working when I first installed Nisus Writer Pro 2.1. The problem persists with NWP 2.1.1.

This occurred on my MacBook Pro (mid-2012 model) under Yosemite 10.10.2 and persists ever since, also on 10.10.5.

I am not running the two programs at the same time.

I tried to delete NWE and all its files and folders with CleanApp, then reinstalled, which did not help at all.

When trying to open NWE I first get this warning:

"Could not restore the Nisus New File.
Could not install to "/Users/…/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Express/Nisus New File.dot" because enclosing folder does not exist."

When clicking OK to that, this message appears:

"Unreadable File
File '/Users/…/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Express/Nisus New File.dot' either does not exist or we do not have permission to read it."

That same message appears if a try to open a new, blank page to start working.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: NW Express stopped working when NW Pro 2.1 was installed

Post by martin »

It sounds like Nisus Writer Express no longer has permission to read your new document template (the Nisus New File). You should be able to reset the location and permission by taking these steps:

1. Open your Nisus Writer Express preferences.
2. Switch to the "New File" pane.
3. Click the "Advanced" tab.
4. Under the "Template File" area, for the "Nisus New File", click the "Choose" button.
5. In the standard file opening dialog, select the template file you'd like to use for new documents.
Sparks

Re: NW Express stopped working when NW Pro 2.1 was installed

Post by Sparks »

Thank you for replying! — Three days ago, Nisus Writer Express 3.5 was released.

After updating my NWE 3.4.6 to 3.5 the problems I reported simply vanished.

At last, I am once again writing in NWE on a daily basis. It satisfies my needs for most of my writing tasks, and I launch the Nisus Writer Pro much more seldom, even if I have that one licensed, too.