numbered and bulleted lists

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

JBL wrote:I didn't even notice that you had beaten me to it.
By four seconds. We'll call it a tie.

--Craig
marc

More toolbar commands and icons

Post by marc »

JBL wrote:
charles wrote:
JBL wrote:Actually, I don't understand why you don't make it so any menu command can be added to the toolbar.
Not a bad idea! I'm not sure what icons we would use unless we created an icon for each menu item...hm...what do you think?
You could create unique icons for each item, but I would just create a "generic" icon. Your generic icon might include the name of the command (I am thinking a diamond with the menu items name written on it). You could then allow the user to change it to whatever image they happen to have around. You could even have a page on your website where people could upload icons they created. Aside from saving you guys work, if the user is responsible for creating icon, users might then be able to add user defined macros to their toolbar.
That's not too bad a solution, but of course it would therefore require a UI mechanism to apply the custom icon.

I suggested something similar by direct feedback, mainly relating to adding custom scripts to the toolbar, and using the Finder icon of the file, as the toolbar image (and therefore not requiring any custom method to set this icon.)

Perhaps the work involved in adding an icon interface within NWX would out weigh just outsourcing the icon work..? If you were to do that, I'd give Jon Hicks a vote, his icon work is excellent, but of course there's also Mike Matas (though maybe he's busy with Delicious Monster now?) There are heaps of good icon designers of course, but these two are particularly good.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing a revamp of the icons that are currently used... though they're not too bad (except maybe the Table button!)

Having said that, it would be great to allow icon swapping (or 'theming' if you will), as a number of applications are starting to, simply by swapping out the TIFFs contained within the app package. Then you could encourage the user submissions, which could be particularly useful in building a useful library for custom scripts.