Unwanted Periods + Menu Keys

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Miskatonic

Unwanted Periods + Menu Keys

Post by Miskatonic »

New user trying Nisus Express 3.5.7 on a shake down cruise at work this week. I'm hitting my head on two issues.

1. When I double space quickly after a letter the program is adding a period after the letter. At first I thought it was a bug, but I'm now thinking Nisus is trying to be helpful and ending a sentence for me. I tried turning off "Smart Punctuation" and "Fix Typos" under preferences, but that's not stopping it.

2. The second problem I'm having is using Menu Keys to change the keyboard shortcut for Strike Through. The default is "Control Command U" I would like to make it simply "Control U" but Nissus insists on leaving Command in the sequence.

Thanks,
phspaelti

Re: Unwanted Periods + Menu Keys

Post by phspaelti »

1. The first problem "double space -> period" sounds to me like something that is happening at the Mac level. Look in the Mac keyboard preferences under "Text". There should be an option "Add period with double space". This is Apple trying to make your computer work like an iPhone.

2. Nisus Keyboard shortcuts do require a <command> key. You can assign <control> type shortcuts at the Mac level (in the "Keyboard Preferences"). The sticking point is that you will have to specify the exact menu command name. Unfortunately "Strikethrough" is not really a menu command (it's the name of a submenu), and the name of the command "Single" is ambiguous. I tried "Strikethrough:Single", but that didn't work. I was able to work around this problem by using a Macro (I'm a NWP user), but this feature wouldn't be available in Express.

Often the best way to work around such problems is to get some 3rd party product that allows you to customize the keyboard shortcut behavior across apps. I don't use such things, but there should be a lot of discussion on the board here.
philip
Miskatonic

Post by Miskatonic »

Thanks Philip, you were exactly right about the unhelpfully helpful periods; they were indeed being placed by OS X. Easily remedied under Keyboards > Text Settings. iOS comes to the desktop. Sigh.

I was planning on purchasing a new macro program to replace my beloved 1990's version of QuickKeys. Sometimes you just need them to do what can't otherwise be accomplished within the program easily.

Thanks again,
ScottinPollock

Post by ScottinPollock »

Miskatonic wrote:I was planning on purchasing a new macro program to replace my beloved 1990's version of QuickKeys.
I have been using Keyboard Maestro since Startly (where software goes to die) acquired QuickKeys. Very capable, solid, and well supported by its dev.