NWE 2.0 inherits 1.1.2 bug

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dennisg

NWE 2.0 inherits 1.1.2 bug

Post by dennisg »

Here's a bug I've come across in both versions. Oftentimes (not always), when I'm working in Page View, and my paragraph of text ends on the last line of a page, I'll hit a carriage return and absolutely nothing happens. No new paragraph. No jumping to the top of the next page. I'll hit another carriage return, and suddenly there will be two paragraph marks on the new page. Anyone else notice this? Am I just having a bad day?
- Dennis

"Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hi, Dennis.

In my experience, when I create a page break in Page View, the display does not jump to the next page until I type something on it. I don't especially like this behavior, but I think it is intentional, and I've learned to live with it. Should we start a petition to change it?

--Craig
dennisg

Post by dennisg »

I think you're talking about something slightly different, but I've also noticed the behavior you're referring to -- and I'd gladly sign the petition. Whether you issue a forced Page Break or a natural one (carriage return at end of page), you should get a view of the next page with the cursor placed at the top of it. When all you want to do is paste some text at the top of the next page, and there's no new page, it's a little annoying.
- Dennis

"Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Okay. We've got two names on the petition. Anyone else agree, disagree or not care?

I wonder if this relates to the fact that the cursor's position doesn't reflect changes to the ruler (alignment and indentation) in a new paragraph until you type something? It's taking me a while to get used to that behavior as well, but it might well be intentional and the two behaviors might well be related -- at least philosophically.

--Craig
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

This is a known issue. If you have just a single return at the end of a document and that return belongs on a new page, sometimes the page will not be added. This is related to a bug in Cocoa that we have not yet been able to work around, which is why it still exists.

For you, the solution is easy though: simply type your single return and keep typing. When you press return, the newline is always added, even if there is no visual feedback in this case. When you type the first character of the next paragraph, a new page will be added for you.
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.