Disappearing text

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dennisg

Disappearing text

Post by dennisg »

I've found that when I paste in a new paragraph, on some occasions, a few paragraphs before the insertion point will disappear, leaving a large white space. Oddly, when I click on the white space, the paragraphs will reappear, right where they're supposed to be.
- Dennis

"Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hi, Dennis. I haven't experienced that exactly. I wonder what view you are using when this happens: Page View or Draft View? I've had text farther down in a document seem to disappear (though it has not really disappeared) in Draft View.

--Craig
dennisg

Post by dennisg »

I'm always in Page View when it happens.
- Dennis

"Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Then my experience won't be of any help. (Not that it was likely to have been of much help anyway.) fjkam is having a similar issue in Page View.

--Craig
drhfk

Text disappears after inserting footnotes

Post by drhfk »

After inserting two footnotes in a 10 page document, the body text disappeared. The only items visible in Page View are tables, inserted graphics, and the footnotes. The body text remains accessible in Draft View. After changing the body text in Draft View the body text reappeared in Page View. This appears to be a recurring bug.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

I had the same experience today, for the first time and hopefully the last.

The text disappeared and leaving a large white space there instead. I tried to get the text back by undo my last typing, but it did not work. Then I closed the document and reopened it, but now ALL the text in the document was gone!

Then I quit NWE and launched it again and opened the file again thru the open recent meny and finally I succeeded to get all the text back. Quite weird behavior.
Peter Edwardsson
charles

Post by charles »

Dear forum members,

Several people have reported this issue of text disappearing. We are fixing this bug for our next release, which should come out soon. But let me tell you a little about what causes this.

In NWE2, we introduced an optimization that avoids laying out text as you type unless it is absolutely necessary. This fix was intended to keep typing fast when working in large documents.

Unfortunately, there are some cases where this optimization is triggered when it should not be triggered. The effect of this is that even though all of your text is there, it may not be displayed in Page View. Instead, portions of your text will appear blank. Let me be clear though: NONE OF YOUR TEXT IS LOST.

As I said, we will fix this for the next release, which will be out soon. Sorry for any problems this might have caused you.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.