Resizing images (too big to fit on page) in NWE 2

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
MarkusWernig

Post by MarkusWernig »

I am evaluating NWE 2 right now and am having a lot of trouble resizing a PDF screenshot that is larger than my page is wide.

When I paste the image into my document, the right side is cut off and my blue handles on the right are not there (they obviously stay with the true dimensions of the image). So, I grab one of the left corners, hold down the shift key and try to make it smaller, but it doesn't keep the original aspect ratio of the image. It seems to be taking the "cropped" aspect ratio of the pasted image and use this as the new aspect ratio. In my example my original image is rectangular, the just pasted and cropped image that doesn't fit on my page is almost square. When I try to resize it by holding down the shift key, NWE doesn't use the original rectangular shape but the new square one as the basis for resizing.

Once the resized image fits on the page (even though it's no longer the original aspect ratio), I still can't grab the right hand corners that were previously outside of my page.

Either I am doing something wrong, or there is still a huge problem with images in NWE.

Thanks for any help in advance.

--- Markus ---
JBL

Post by JBL »

I just replicated the problem with the left handles. Interestingly, it seems that shift dragging the bottom left handle does not maintain proportionality, but shift dragging the top left handle does.

I am not sure if I understand your other problem but I have a related one (maybe the same one). I resized my image, saved and closed the document. When I reopened it, the image was back to its normal size but the bounding box was at its smaller "resized" size. As a result, much of the image was cropped out. (I just see the bottom right corner.)

Well, I thought I might do some testing before I posted this and it looks like there are all sorts of weird stuff happening with graphics. For one image (a large landscape oriented jpg), I got Markus's behavior. That is, when I tried resizing with the upper right, NWE decided to mush the picture along the horizontal dimension so that it was now had a portrait orientation (although the aspect ratio of this mushed image was then maintained). I deleted that image and put in another large jpg, this time taken in portrait orientation. Now resizing with the top left handle did maintain the aspect ratio. Then I tried saving and reopening, and the image disappeared. The NWE file is 24 Mb (the picture was only 1.9 Mb) so I am guessing it is in there someplace but I can't see it.
MarkusWernig

Post by MarkusWernig »

Just as a side note - when pasted into a document, MS Word adjusts any image that's too wide automatically and shrinks it to fit the left-right margins of a page.

That's how it should be, especially in a word processor that wants to be intuitive and easy to use.

--- Markus ---
rallx

Post by rallx »

I've experienced this same problem and I agree with Markus' last comment about the proper behavior: graphics should automatically resize proportionally to fit within the margins of the document.
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

Currently if you insert an image that is larger than the size of the page, then you will not be able to resize it proportionally until you first make it small enough to fit onto the page. We will change this in the next release so that oversized inserted images are resized to fit onto the page.

Also, as some of you have discovered, inserting large images can inflate the size of an RTF file substantially. This is unfortunately due to limitations in the RTF file format, though we are looking at some solutions that would hopefully minimize this problem.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

charles wrote:Also, as some of you have discovered, inserting large images can inflate the size of an RTF file substantially. This is unfortunately due to limitations in the RTF file format, though we are looking at some solutions that would hopefully minimize this problem.

-Charles
I have a file (two actually) with just two pages. The first page containing a graphic (tiff) and the second page containing just a few lines plain text. Saved by NWE 2.0.1 in .rtf it weights 3.4 MB. The same file containing the same graphic and plain text saved by Mellel (in it's own format) weights 1.5 MB and in .doc by Word v.x only 188 Kb (saved by NWE in .doc the file weights 3.4 MB!) and in .rtf by Word v.x only 832 Kb.

Surely something with the rtf-format that has to be changed or fixed...
Peter Edwardsson
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Here's another (at least temporary) solution.

1. Switch to Draft View.

2. Drag the size of the Nisus Writer Express file window out to the right as far as necessary to show the lower right corner of the graphic.

3. Scroll to the bottom of the graphic (if necessary).

4. Press SHIFT and drag the lower right graphic handle up and in to resize as you like (maintaining its aspect ratio).
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.