Tabs & hanging indents

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
rallx

Tabs & hanging indents

Post by rallx » 2004-09-17 03:23:18

I use numbered or bullet lists with hanging indents a lot. Normally, one types the number (until autonumbers come along) and then presses the tab key so the the first line is left justified with the rest of the text. This does not work in NWE 2 or 2.0.1.

So, I put a tab stop at the left margin for all but the first line of the the list text. This works as long as NWE is open, but the minute I close the document or shut down and then restart and open the document, the tab stops, that I placed are gone!!

Also, I would like to include tab stops as part of the paragraph style definitions (see my post "return to the fold" for a more extensive analysis of this problem) but they usually do not stick (especially if one has tried to add a tab stop to an existing style rather than making a new style)... when the document is reopened, tabs place on the style sheet of a saved document are not there.

Rick

rallx

Update

Post by rallx » 2004-09-19 10:50:48

Having played around with this some more, it seems that there is something special about the Normal style (and any style base on normal) such that Tabs do not stick in the Nisus New File.dot. If I define a new style in Nisus New File.dot, say "Body", and base all of my styles on that then tabs DO stick across restarts (even though Normal is still in the template).

charles

Post by charles » 2004-09-19 12:03:49

Hi:

First of all, hanging indents should work in 2.0. I use them all the time. To be clear, to use hanging indents you simply need to make sure your head indent marker (the blue handle that points "up" on the left side of your ruler) is set to the right of your first line indent marker (the blue handle that points "down" on the left side of your ruler). You can do this quickly and automatically using the "Increase Hanging Indent" and "Decrease Hanging Indent" menus in the "Format" menu.

Both setting tabs and changing other ruler settings in the Normal style work for me. A common mistake is for users to simply switch to their style sheet view and assume they are editing the style for all new documents. This is not the case; easy document has its own style sheet. To edit the style sheet for all new documents, you need to edit the Nisus New File. To open this file, open the "New Document" preference pane, choose the "Advanced" tab and click on the button "Edit File...".

I hope this helps.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.

rallx

Post by rallx » 2004-09-19 13:07:03

charles wrote: First of all, hanging indents should work in 2.0. I use them all the time. To be clear, to use hanging indents you simply need to make sure your head indent marker (the blue handle that points "up" on the left side of your ruler) is set to the right of your first line indent marker (the blue handle that points "down" on the left side of your ruler). You can do this quickly and automatically using the "Increase Hanging Indent" and "Decrease Hanging Indent" menus in the "Format" menu.
thanks for your reply, Charles. I probably wasn't clear in my previous post. Hanging indents (i.e., the type of ruler one would use in a list, references cited, etc.) work in 2.0. What doesn't work, at least for me is, after typing the number or bullet, I want to be able to press the tab key so that the rest of the first line is lined up precisely with the head indent marker so that all of the text in the list is flush left justified, with only the number or bullet hanging to the left. My work around was to place a left tab at the head indent, but this doesn't work for me if the list is based on the Normal style. I have tried trashing the prefs file, reinstalling, etc. but no go.
charles wrote: Both setting tabs and changing other ruler settings in the Normal style work for me. A common mistake is for users to simply switch to their style sheet view and assume they are editing the style for all new documents. This is not the case; easy document has its own style sheet. To edit the style sheet for all new documents, you need to edit the Nisus New File. To open this file, open the "New Document" preference pane, choose the "Advanced" tab and click on the button "Edit File...".
I've edited the New File template any number of times. Tabs that I set in the style sheet of the Normal style of the New File template simply don't stick reliably. Tabs that I set in new styles that I have made in the New File template do stick. If it works reliably for you but not for me, maybe it is a conflict with a pref pane or something? I don't use any Unsanity haxies but do use You Control, LaunchBar, and MaxMenus, all of which have been well behaved in the past...

Rick

rallx

Post by rallx » 2004-09-19 15:19:08

Okay, I've played around with this still further and have discovered more clues. Tabbing to the head indent marker on the first line of a list DOES work on the stock installation of NWE. However, as soon as one changes the normal style in the Style view by adding tab stops, etc. it no longer works. For example, I tried to put a center tab stop in the middle of the page (3.25 inches on the Style view ruler, which will appear at 4.25 inches on the page view ruler) and a right tab stop at 6.5 in in the styles ruler (which will appear at 7.5 inches in the page view). List is based on normal so it inherits these settings. Return to page view and apply the list style. Now a tab moves the cursor all the way to the center tab stop. So, if you have a hanging indent with tabs in it anywhere, then you must also put a tab at the head indent marker.

Close the New File template that has just been modified with the tab stops and open a new untitled doc (which should use the newly revised template). The tabs placed in normal no longer appear in the style sheet for the untitled doc, either in normal or any style based on normal. They do appear in the first ruler on the page, but as soon as you change the style (even to a style based on Normal) the tabs disappear.

I know that NWE maintains a copy of the Nisus New File inside its package. Do some of the settings in this file inside the package override the Nisus New File that a user has modified and saved in the "Application support Folder"?

Rick

Darren

One tab per save

Post by Darren » 2004-10-20 09:40:38

I've been having disappearing tab blues and red hot angers javascript:emoticon(':twisted:').
Performed the following experiment after a suspicious save:
New file. Delete all styles. Save file as Styleless. Type a few (return delimited) lines with some tabs. Make a new style (either based on selection or not, but "Based on Selection" appears to refer to style list not selected text) and put some left justified tabs in it, say 2, 3, 4, & 5 inches; called mine Simple. These will appear at 3-6 inches (with 1" margin) which is annoying as all get out. Apply the style to a line. Go back to the Style sheet view. Save the file, close the file, open the file. Select Siimple. Style Simple is missing the left most tab. Now for the fun part. The red close button has no spot, no change to the file. Save the file anyway (any number of times). Close the file, open the file. Select Simple. Style Simple is missing the left most tab again. Now there's only two left. Keep going and they all dissappear.
Put the tabs back. Save (one gone). Open, save (two gone). Repeat as necessary until the headache comes back.
And why can't I change a tab in a paragraph that the Styles palette identifies (as Simple for example) and have it reflected in the style instead of adding another layer of rulering that has to be peeled off before getting down to the named style?
Be seeing you
Darren
Progressive Proximity Principle