Disappearing Text

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
pmevans

Disappearing Text

Post by pmevans »

Okay, I can't drag-copy text without it disappearing. For that matter, I can't move text by dragging without it disappearing. Same with 2.0 and 2.0.1, either view mode, any font. This is a necessity for the business document that I use Nisus to create. I've had to revert back to 1.1.2. FWIW, I'm using a 14" G4 iBook with 640 megs of RAM and the latest Panther upgrades.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I think what you need to do is to select the text and start dragging before you press the option key. If you press the option key before you start dragging, NWE starts rectangular selection. Does this help? I'm not sure what you mean by text disappearing, so this response might be off the mark.

--Craig
pmevans

Post by pmevans »

Okay, that works, but why is it so much more sensitive than 1.1.2? It's really frustrating.
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

I'm not sure I understand what your problem is here. If you want to move text by drag and drop all you need to do is select the text, then click and hold on your selection for about a quarter second, then start to drag. You do not need to press option or any other modifier key to do this. This has always been the case in Nisus Writer Express.

We added rectangular selection to 2.0, which is triggered using the option key. In 1.1.2, option key would have had no effect so you could hold it down and everything would work as you expect, even though technically using the option key was unnecessarily.

Perhaps that was the source of your problem?

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
pmevans

Post by pmevans »

I use Nisus exclusively for billing statements and court documents for my husband who is a process server. Names of defendants need to be in multiple places in a single document and I have always used drag-copy to save a few keyboard strokes as I work. In the old Nisus, I used the glossary feature to insert the several hundred attorney/court addresses and boilerplate legalese. Since you dropped that feature in OS X, I've had to use Spell Catcher to fulfill that need. I long for the days of NisusWriter which I used for many years. I don't like Express.
Cocoapastor

Qick Fix

Post by Cocoapastor »

pmevans wrote:I use Nisus exclusively for billing statements and court documents for my husband who is a process server. Names of defendants need to be in multiple places in a single document and I have always used drag-copy to save a few keyboard strokes as I work. In the old Nisus, I used the glossary feature to insert the several hundred attorney/court addresses and boilerplate legalese. Since you dropped that feature in OS X, I've had to use Spell Catcher to fulfill that need. I long for the days of NisusWriter which I used for many years. I don't like Express.
I believe the “Quick Fix” feature in Preferences will do what you want and do it very well!
pmevans

Post by pmevans »

But I still need Option-Drag to copy. And please don't say Copy-Paste, as I use that for my basic page. I have a fill-in-the-blanks template. I set the things that will be consistent from document to document and copy it to the clipboard, then fill, insert page break, paste and start over again. And yes, I know about multiple clipboards and use them for some things, but it's not practical for this, even assigning keystrokes to change clipboards.

As to Quick Fix, would you care to convert 500+ multiline entries for me? Spell Catcher works as well as the old Glossary and works in whatever app I'm using.