I'm seeing spots before my eyes

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dennisg

I'm seeing spots before my eyes

Post by dennisg »

Here's a topic I've been meaning to post for months, but forgot about until this morning. Every now and then (in other words, totally at random) I'll be merrily typing along, and tiny black dots will appear above each letter as it appears on the screen. If I scroll the dots off the screen, then scroll back to where they were, they'll be gone. They have absolutely no effect on anything, but they certainly don't belong there. This phenominon occurred in NWE 1.1.2 and continues with both of the newer versions. Anyone else experiencing this or is it just a continuation of the uniquely bad luck I'm having with this program?
- Dennis

"Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"
JBL

Post by JBL »

I have had this problem in this program and I have had it in other programs, over many years. I believe what is happening is that the top of the insertion point doesn't get erased as it moves. In my experience the dots disappear whenever something happens that causes that part of the screen to get redrawn.
dennisg

Post by dennisg »

Oddly, I only have it in NWE -- not in TextEdit or Mariner Write.
- Dennis

JBL

Post by JBL »

dennisg wrote:Oddly, I only have it in NWE -- not in TextEdit or Mariner Write.
Actually, I didn't mean that it happens in other Cocoa programs. I meant that this is a bug you see every once in a while in a variety of programs. I think this used to happen in some versions of Canvas, I forget what else.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

I have experienced the same behaviour in many different programs, not only in NWE. Sorry, but I can not recall the name of the programs.

But it's not a NWE bug, more like a Cocoa or MacOS X bug.
Peter Edwardsson
JBL

Post by JBL »

It looks like NWE also cuts off little bits of the decenders leaves them lying around. Here is an example with both the dots and a couple cut off 'g's.

charles

Post by charles »

Hi everyone!

The bugs you are describing are drawing bugs that occur because we zoom our text and that is a rounding error in Cocoa that sometimes means it does not clear part of the cursor or draw part of some descenders. As such, you may see this happen in some but not all Cocoa apps. We have made several attempts at working around this problem ourselves. We have also reported this issue to Apple.

That said, these drawing are completely non-destructive. Usually just scrolling the affected area out of range and back again will solve the problem. These artifacts will never survive closing and reopening the document or printing.

Cheers,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
dennisg

Post by dennisg »

I did a little experimenting today and found that you don't even have to scroll the dots off the screen to get rid of them. Clicking anywhere in the document seems to be just as effective. They disappear instantly.
- Dennis

KimTwemlow

Post by KimTwemlow »

I know I'm replying to a long-dead thread here, but what's the latest on the dots? I've never seen them in any OS X app but they're all over NWP like, uh ... dots ... on a ... page (note to self: work on analogies).

Still no fix from Apple?