No (easy) way to straighten quotes?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
WattsM

No (easy) way to straighten quotes?

Post by WattsM »

I wanted to do a simple Perl script to turn curly quotes into straight quotes, but this seems to be impossible. It appears NWX is taking text returned from macros and running it back through the QuickFix function, so the "straightened" quotes get "curled" again if the smart punctuation option is set in preferences. I'm not sure this post-processing is desirable to do with macros, or at least it should be an option the macro can turn off.

Incidentally, I think the smart punctuation option should be something you can set on a per-document basis, or even a per-style basis. For manuscripts, you generally want straight quotes; for camera-ready copy, you generally want curly quotes.
gemboy27

Post by gemboy27 »

have you tried using find and replace?
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
WattsM

Post by WattsM »

No, I didn't, and I'm slightly sheepish that that works -- although I'd really like to have a menu command to do that (or do its reverse), or be able to write a macro. Otherwise, straightening quotes is a four-step process, or perhaps two-step if you use regular expressions.

The question about whether the post-processing after macros is desirable still stands, though. As does the suggestion for making the smart punctuation office be something that works either per-document or per-style. :) (I could see occasional cases where the per-style approach would be better--for instance, if you were writing technical documentation, and set the style you used for body text to have smart punctuation and the style you used for code to have normal punctuation.)
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

QuickFix settings are separate for each writing language that you have. We include with Nisus Writer Express several "Tech" languages including some called "Tech (Code)" and "Tech (Block Code)" that will apply a Courier font, turns off the spell checker and disables quickfix.

QuickFix is currently applied to text that is pasted in the document and to text inserted by the Macro function. In the next release, QuickFix will NOT be applied in either of these cases.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.