Change from Footnote to Endnote?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
MacSailor

Change from Footnote to Endnote?

Post by MacSailor »

What's the easiest and quickest way to change all the footnotes to endnotes? Is there a command, macro or something else that save me the time to do it manually?

When I try to change it manually, the NWE makes the beachball spinn forever or until I force quit NWE.
Peter Edwardsson
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hi, Peter. You are not the only one who has experienced this problem. The Nisus mailing list currently has a discussion going on about it. I pulled this from a message there.
Nobumi Iyanaga wrote:If you still wish to delete your footnote and insert an endnote at the same place, you can certainly do that if you edit the raw rtf code, using for example BBEdit, or TextEdit (opening the file with "Ignore Rich Text Command" checked), etc. It is certainly a pain to read rtf raw code, but it is not impossible.
This is, obviously, not an ideal solution and not one I'd trust myself to try. Hopefully Nisus has a fix in the works.

--Craig
MacSailor

a tricky solution that turned out to be a bad one...

Post by MacSailor »

Hi Craig

I thought I was smart having found a kind of solution. I opened the document in Word v.x and used it's function to replace the footnotes with endnotes. It went smootly, I thought...

...until I reopened the document (.rtf) in NWE 2.0.1 and discovered that all the text, all the graphics, everything was gone! Only two empty pages. And then that infamous beachball started to spinn. Had to do a force quit, again... :?

I did it on a copy of the document since it was a academic paper that I did not want to lose. :wink:

I'll think a need an updated version of NWE 2.x very soon...
Last edited by MacSailor on 2004-10-21 00:10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Edwardsson
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I'm glad it happened to a copy and not the original, Peter. Can you create a new document and then cut and paste, avoiding the footnotes and copying them to endnotes separately? That's my best suggestion unless you know how to edit raw RTF files. (I don't.)

--Craig
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

cchapin wrote:Can you create a new document and then cut and paste, avoiding the footnotes and copying them to endnotes separately?
--Craig
I'll give it a try.

/Peter
Peter Edwardsson
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Yes yes yes. This is a pretty crucial feature for academics working on articles whose citation styles change from journal to journal.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Nisusoids,

Please try the following.

1. Put your insertion point in any footnote.

2. Choose Select All from the Edit menu.

3. Choose Endnote from the little lime green Notes Style tag on the Status bar at the bottom of the window.

That should switch all your footnotes to endnotes. You can do the reverse as well.

Now, let's say you want to change only some of your footnotes to endnotes.

1. Put your insertion point in any footnote and select some text.

2. Scroll until you see another footnote you want to change and non-contiguously select some more text of that second footnote. (Press COMMAND to select text non-contiguously.)

3. Choose Endnote from the little lime green Notes Style tag on the Status bar at the bottom of the window.

However, in this instance, I've noticed that there seems to be a renumbering bug (which has now been reported): Let's say that you have three footnotes and change numbers 1 and 3 to endnotes. These get renumbered correctly. However, the remaining footnote marker gets renumbered accurately in the document, though not in the note area.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

rmark wrote:Nisusoids,

That should switch all your footnotes to endnotes. You can do the reverse as well.
That's good new. Now we are making some progress and reveal the hidden power within the NWE. :wink:

Is this mentioned in the manual? If it's not, it certainly should have a place there.

Why does not this ashow up all the time in the NWE status bar.

By the way, when will we get the new speedy and updated NWE in our mailboxes? :D
Peter Edwardsson
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

rmark wrote:Nisusoids,

Now, let's say you want to change only some of your footnotes to endnotes.

1. Put your insertion point in any footnote and select some text.

2. Scroll until you see another footnote you want to change and non-contiguously select some more text of that second footnote. (Press COMMAND to select text non-contiguously.)

Oh now that's just entirely too easy and intuitive! Reminds me of when I first switched to the Mac--I wanted everything to be far, far more difficult than it was.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Peter asks,
Why does not this a show up all the time in the NWE status bar.
This is a new subject, I share it here because Peter asks. I'll post it elsewhere so others can learn more.

The various Tags of the Statusbar appear when your selected text has the attributes applied.

Believe it or not, text can have no attributes applied. Such text displays in 12-point Helvetica.

Each tag on the Statusbar controls a different kind of grouped attributes.

• paragraph style
    character style
    ruler (indents, tabs, alignment, line spacing)
    font (font family, typeface, size, variants)
    color
    highlight
The way a character is displayed is the result of a merging of all the attributes applied.

You can see which attributes are present by looking at the tags on the Statusbar.

Tags override each other moving from right to left.

In other words:
To figure out how some text will display:
  • 1. Take 12-pt Helvetica.
    2. Apply to it any Paragraph Style attributes using the Styles palette (which may overide the font).
    3. Apply to that a Character Style using the Styles palette.
    4. Then apply (i.e. modify) the ruler.
    5. Then change the font/size and/or style stuff (i.e. using the Character palette method, not the Styles palette method).
    6. Then modify the color.
    7. Finally add a little highlighter.
Note that Paragraph and Character Style tags are always visible, they may just be faded if no Style is applied.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

Thanks Mark for the informative lesson in how the tags at the NWE status bar works. :D

/Peter
Peter Edwardsson