styles

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Peder

Post by Peder » 2004-10-22 13:29:47

Hey, that works. Cool. I thought the select range stuff only worked with the Styles.

Glad to hear that. I did a bit of experimenting, and for those who are interested, the Character Styles do import into InDesign – but it's impossible to reapply a Paragraph Style in ID to get the correct typeset font: font and size remain the same in those paragraphs containing a Character Style imported from NWE. I am beginning to think that it is possible to make this work seamlessly, but it seems I shall have to rethink and relearn many of the ways in which I work with Word and ID. All tips and suggesstions welcome.
Peder wrote:PS Of course, in an ideal world, an italic should be an italic should be an italic – and inviolate – whether made with a Character Style or a quick Command-I toggle on the keyboard
I disagree (see above). If you want to make Command-I set your text to inviolate italic you should set up the corresponding character style and make command-I the shortcut to it.[/quote]

Can certainly be argued, but let's assume that Nisus had a thought in making Command-I the default for italics. First there would be a command conflict, doing it your way, and then, on a personal note, as someone who produces long text, I hate having to highlight text in order to format it: when I come to a word or phrase that's in italic, I want to be able to just hit Command-I, type the italicised text, hit Command-I again and type on i regular, without breaking stride. But of course, we all have different ways of working :wink: and we should all be able to work in those various ways...

Peder

PS Sorry about the unclarity of quotes in this post – appears I haven't mastered the art of "fragmented" quotes yet (like so many other things I haven't mastered :( )
Hope it's clear what is what anyway...
Last edited by Peder on 2004-10-23 03:25:44, edited 1 time in total.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

charles

Post by charles » 2004-10-22 15:01:02

Hi everyone,

We are changing the behavior when applying paragraph styles in 2.1. When you apply a paragraph style, it will still remove any other paragraph-level settings such as the ruler, but it will leave character-level formatting in place.

If you want a fast and easy way to remove all this extraneous character formatting, I recommend you go through and apply the styles you want, then:

1. Hit Select All.
2. If a character tag (the black underlined a), a font color tag (a colored circle) or a ruler (a yellow ruler) appears, click on those and choose "remove".
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.

JBL

Post by JBL » 2004-10-22 18:51:38

charles wrote:When you apply a paragraph style, it will still remove any other paragraph-level settings such as the ruler, but it will leave character-level formatting in place.
What happens if you apply a paragraph style that is based on a character style?
charles wrote: If you want a fast and easy way to remove all this extraneous character formatting, I recommend you go through and apply the styles you want, then:

1. Hit Select All.
2. If a character tag (the black underlined a), a font color tag (a colored circle) or a ruler (a yellow ruler) appears, click on those and choose "remove".
Well, that turns one click into seven. I still think that my method which gives people the choice is better but I appear to be out voted.

MacSailor

Post by MacSailor » 2004-10-22 23:29:26

charles wrote:Hi everyone,

We are changing the behavior when applying paragraph styles in 2.1. When you apply a paragraph style, it will still remove any other paragraph-level settings such as the ruler, but it will leave character-level formatting in place.
Would it be possible to choose between the current way in version 2.0.1 and the way you are planning to implement in version 2.1 by selecting options in the preferences? I do not want to make it more complicated, but it would be great with the option to do the same thing in (at least) two different ways.
Peter Edwardsson

cchapin

Post by cchapin » 2004-10-23 05:00:24

JBL, you might try what I've been doing. Use "Paste Text Only" (Edit > Paste > Paste Text Only). I use this so much that I've set a Menu Key for it.

--Craig

JBL

Post by JBL » 2004-10-23 07:08:14

Yeah, I always forget about that feature. Maybe I should have it override command-v and make normal paste shift-command-v.

Thanks.