Paragraph Mutilations

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
squidlor

Paragraph Mutilations

Post by squidlor »

I'm using the NWE 2.0.1 Demo (trying to decide which word processor I want to buy) and it seems every time I highlight a section of text and drag it up to the top of the report I am writing, that I get a copy of the text I just moved randomly destructively dumped in the middle of another paragraph. The destruction occurs between the point where I highlighted the text and the point that I drug it to.

I haven't noticed a correlation as to where the text gets dumped, other than it is between the source and destination copies. I've had this happen at least three times today.

My report is only 8 pages, but it's unorganized notes at this point, so I need to drag text around to get it organized... this is a real problem :cry:, and has me looking at Mellel and Mariner. Although I don't care for Mellel's interface.

It would be survivable if it didn't destroy the other paragraphs in my report.

I'm in page view, I have a G4 tower running 10.3.5... what else is germane? The text I am dragging is plain text, but I am moving it across a section of colored text, to an area that is plain text.... I'm grasping at straws here...

Thanks,
Eric
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hi, Squidlor. I've been trying to reproduce this and haven't succeeded yet.

After the problem occurs, where does the text appear?
a. just the middle
b. the bottom and middle
c. the middle and top
d. the bottom, middle and top

--Craig
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Eric,

I'm sorry you experience difficulties with Nisus Writer Express. I can't duplicate your problem either. However, perhaps we can learn more what's happening "behind the scenes". I've checked with an engineer who suggests the following:

1. Find the Console application in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.

Applications/Utilities/Console

2. Start the Console and clear the log by clicking the "whisk broom" or typing Command-K.

3. Start Nisus Writer Express.

4. Copy what appears in the Console window and email that to us (with a description of what did not work correctly) at <support@nisus.com>

We'll get back to you as soon as we have something meaningful to report.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
squidlor

Post by squidlor »

Hello, thanks for the quick response!

When I copy the text, it appears in the destination, just like it should, but it also appears at some point in between the place where it used to be, and the place I moved it to – so I in effect have two copies of the highlighted/moved text. The extraneous copy also just happens to destructively overwrite the text where it magically appears.

So to answer Craig's question, I end up with two copies of the text I am moving. One copy where it is supposed to be, the place I moved it to. It no longer exists at the place I moved it from. Another copy appears somewhere between the source and destination.

The portion of text that I wanted to move, moves fine; it's just that after the move operation somehow another copy of the text is generated in between the start point and end point of the text move.

It's bizarre, and difficult to explain; the first time it happened I thought I let go of the mouse button too soon. I had to repeat it a couple of times before I realized what was happening.

I will see if I can get it to do it again. If so, I will follow your directions to see if I can scrape up some more information.

Thanks again for your help!
Eric Brown