Is Nisus really better?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
djh202

Is Nisus really better?

Post by djh202 »

Hi there
I am a complete newbie to Nisus and am trying to evaluate whether it will do the job for me better than microsoft word. At the moment I am having problems with getting to grips with various aspects of the app and not finding the help very much use as the search function does not appear to work.

I was wondering how easy it is to take my different headings and create an automatic table of contents? when I insert captions (i presume you do this by simply changing the style) can I then collate all the figures and tables I have and display them as an index? Is there a built in equation editor with Nisus Express? Are there any known problems with Nisus and very large files - I am writing my thesis at the moment and word keeps crashing on me as I am over the 50 page limit?

I think thats enough to be getting on with, if anyone could help me it would be much appreciated,

Cheers
Dickon
charles

Post by charles »

Hi Dickon:

Welcome to the forums and thanks for trying out Nisus Writer Express! I'm glad you are giving us a try as a substitute for Word.

Unfortunately, this version of Nisus Writer does not support table of contents. It is on our list for the future though. In the mean time, you can use styles as an easy way to mark text in your document and then when you are ready to create your table of contents, you can do the following:

1. Choose one of the heading with the style you want to show in your table of contents.
2. Click on the paragraph style tag (the little square with a backwards "P" in it) at the bottom of the window.
3. Choose "Select All" from the menu that appears.
4. Choose Edit->Copy.
5. Place your cursor where you want the table of contents and choose Edit->Paste.

Now you have all the heading in one place and you can apply styles, add page numbers, etc. You can also do most of your editing in NWE if you want to switch to Word (since you already own it) when you are ready to do your table of contents.

Finally, NWE is able to handle longer documents but as you might find on these forums, some people find the application to slow for larger documents to work with. We are putting the finishing touches on an update that will be out very very soon that will address many of the speed issues.

Thanks again for your interest. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Cheers,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.