NWE Crash Opening Openoffice doc w/ Footnotes

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
jonathandueck

NWE Crash Opening Openoffice doc w/ Footnotes

Post by jonathandueck »

When I create a file with OpenOffice.org (Mac or Linux version, doesn't matter) with footnotes in it, and subsequently open that file in NWE 2.0.1, I find the following behaviour dependent on the file format I save it in with OOo:

1) Save it as RTF with OpenOffice. When I open it in Nisus, the file opens and is formatted correctly -- except that all footnotes are blank.

2) Save it as DOC (any of 3 kinds: Word XP, Word Mac 6, Word 95). When I open it in Nisus, the WP crashes with the status bar about halfway through the opening process.

Another oddity is that page numbers from OOo files are rendered as the total count of pages rather than successive page numbers; in other words, the page number (for a 14-page document) on the bottom of page 1 is 14, page 2 is 14, page 3 is 14, etc.

This is pretty troubling for an academic -- OOo is becoming quite ubiquitous these days. It'd be even nicer if NWE just supported the .sxw OOo word processor format files...

Another complaint: NWE 2 (not sure if 2.0.1 does this) still seems pretty buggy around footnotes and endnotes, either sometimes messing with page spacing -- so that the majority of a page is blank, save the line or two at the top and a footnote at the bottom -- or crashing when a footnote is edited; or displaying an "Internal Error" message when a footnote is edited or created.

Any fixes? If footnote support does not get more stable, I won't be able to use it; which is a shame because the UI is very nice.

--Jon
dennisg

Post by dennisg »

Jon,

I can't speak to the footnote problem, but the insertion of blank pages is a known bug in NWE 2.0 and 2.01.

- Dennis
- Dennis

"Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"
MacSailor

Re: NWE Crash Opening Openoffice doc w/ Footnotes

Post by MacSailor »

jonathandueck wrote:When I create a file with OpenOffice.org (Mac or Linux version, doesn't matter) with footnotes in it, and subsequently open that file in NWE 2.0.1, I find the following behaviour dependent on the file format I save it in with OOo:

1) Save it as RTF with OpenOffice. When I open it in Nisus, the file opens and is formatted correctly -- except that all footnotes are blank.

2) Save it as DOC (any of 3 kinds: Word XP, Word Mac 6, Word 95). When I open it in Nisus, the WP crashes with the status bar about halfway through the opening process.
I did a test and saved a document (1 page) including 3 footnotes from within NeoOffice/J boh in .rtf and .doc. After that I opened both files in NWE 2.0.1 and the file saved as .doc preserved all the formattings and all the footnotes, but the file saved as .rtf lost all the Swedish characters å, ä and ö, and all the the footnotes are blank.

I opened (imported) the same files to Mellel and the .rtf was as bad as opened by NWE, but the .doc file was not as good as opened by NWE. The footnote numbers had disappeared!

Opening the same files with Word (v.x) the result for the .rtf was more or less as bad as the result for NWE and Mellel, but the .doc was as good as the result for NWE.

I believe that the problem lies within the export abilities from OpenOffice, not within the import abilities of NWE, Mellel or Word.
Peter Edwardsson
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

jonathandueck reported a problem and Peter Edwardsson ran some tests and reports:
I believe that the problem lies within the export abilities from OpenOffice, not within the import abilities of NWE, Mellel or Word.
That seems accurate to me. However, if you want us to test as well, send the "offending" file(s) to support@nisus.com with a reference to this discussion.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

rmark wrote:However, if you want us to test as well, send the "offending" file(s) to support@nisus.com with a reference to this discussion.
Unfortunately I have already trashed the testing files. :(
Peter Edwardsson