Explanations for Macros?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Craig Turner

Explanations for Macros?

Post by Craig Turner »

I looked in the documentation, but didn't see anything...

Is there some documentation that explains what each macro does, that is, each macro that currently comes with Nisus Express?

For example, when I typed a few words into a new document ("here is another try at a document and what does word list do, anyway"), I selected the words and then ran Create Word List.

I ended up with

anyway
document
does
list
try
word

I don't understand.

Thanks,
Craig Turner
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hi, Craig T. I don't believe there is an explanation of each macro.

Word List creates an alphabetical listing of the unique words in your document. I imagine this might be of use in putting together an index or a glossary.

--Craig C.
hatchmo

Post by hatchmo »

Here's an unformatted list I saved from a previous version:

<common_header Pastes a mini-version of the Nisus Macro Block.
<destination_clipboard A single line.
<destination_front A single line.
<source_clipboard A single line.
<source_front A single line.
<start_macro_block A single line.
<text_replace_template This is a template for any Find and Replace macro operation. Converted to a BBEdit Glossary item.

===== Blank document used as a separator.
Add Line Numbers Adds a number and a tab in front of each selected paragraph. Renamed “Number Lines” below.
Add Remove Blank Lines If the selection contains no multiple newlines, the macro adds them. If it does contain multiple newlines, the macro changes them to a single newline.
Common Regexp Proc Common Regular Expressions, including replace multiple spaces with one, and remove leading and trailing white spaces, duplicate consecutive punctuation, punctuation from start of paragraph, unlikely duplication of punctuation.
Create Word List Creates a word list from the selected text pasting the list in place of the selection.
Date Stamp Pastes the current date and time at the insertion point in the format "Fri May 23 10:04:02 2006".
It was modified to paste only the current date in the form “05/23/06”.
Evaluate Selection Evaluates any (series of) mathematical expression(s).
Form Paragraph The one provided by Nisus does only 2 things: replaces runs of spaces with a single space, and strips all returns and newlines. The customized version (also named “Form Paragraph”, strips every tab and replaces every return (\r) with a newline (\n).
Numbers Lines Adds a number and a tab in front of each selected paragraph. Renamed from “Add Line Numbers” above.
Number Renumber Lines Adds a number (with no tab) in front of selected paragraphs. If the paragaphs are already numbered, it renumbers them to make the numbers sequential.=
Parenthesize Selection Places parentheses around the selected text.
Paste Path Pastes the path to the current document. Useful only as a template, because you can find the path simply by command-clicking the document’s window title.
Quote Selection Places "dumb" quotes around the selected text.
Sort Paragraphs A-Z Sorts selected paragraphs in alpha/numeric order.
Sort Paragraphs Z-A Sorts selected paragraphs in reverse alpha/numeric order.
Swap Columns Swaps the sequence of two contiguous selected columns.
Al Hatch