Garbled style names when opening word documents

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Post Reply
ceffe
Posts: 8
Joined: 2004-09-15 11:29:26
Location: Sweden

Garbled style names when opening word documents

Post by ceffe »

Hi,
2.1 seems to bring many good improvements. (Good work!)

I've always had problems that when opening word documents with Nisus the names of styles sometimes have been garbled. My impression is that this actually might occur more often with 2.1. (A style might appear under the name "ä??æ¼?æ??ç¤?â??å??æ??ç ?ç" to give one example.??) It might be connected when a style name contains non-english characters.

I'd love to work in a Nisus only environment, but colleagues will continue to use Word and I will have to as well from time to time. Hence, good interoperability such as correct transfer of style names would allow me to use Nisus even more.
Cheers,
ceffe

Peder
Posts: 24
Joined: 2004-09-23 02:39:19
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Style names

Post by Peder »

I had the same problem when I opened my first Word 5.1 docs in NWE 2. I hade one containing the Swedish letter "ö", and that translated into something rather garbled which behaved a bit oddly. My solution was to replace "ö" with "oe", but since both the old Word and InDesign accept this letter in style names without a problem, it is rather irritating.

Otherwise, NWE 2.1 is a clear improvement in speed and other respects. I'm very happy local character formatting doesn't disappear when you change Styles. It does, however, and here I go again :wink: disappear when you place text in InDesign. Unfortunately, I don't find that the new version plays any more nicely with InDesign than 2.0 or nearly as nicely as rtf-files from Word 5.1. I suppose all rtf-files ar equal, but some ar more – or less – equal than others…

But I also suppose there will eventually be a NWE 2.2 – and that might be when my ship comes home :wink:

Peder
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

MacSailor
Posts: 290
Joined: 2003-04-03 08:38:41
Location: Linköping, Sweden

Styles corrupted

Post by MacSailor »

I've got a paragraph style called "brödtext", or it used to be called "brödtext" within NWE 2.0.1, but after I upgraded to NWE 2.1 it suddenly is called "Br". Even if I try to change the name in the .dot file, it switch back to "Br". Quite annoying. :(

Any fix in sight?
Peter Edwardsson
..............................

grahamw
Posts: 1
Joined: 2004-11-15 08:15:08

Style names

Post by grahamw »

I've got this problem too. It's more than just a few bad characters - every style name is completely corrupted, and it looks as if some of the style attributes may be as well. I've tried several different Word documents that worked fine in 2.0.1, and it seems to be consistently broken.

Unfortunately that makes 2.1 completely useless for me - I've gone back to 2.0.1 until there's a fix.

Peder
Posts: 24
Joined: 2004-09-23 02:39:19
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Post by Peder »

Strange, I had my bad Style name experiences with NWE 2.0, and only with those Swedish characters (haven't tried them with 2.1). The Style names of the template document which I created in 2.0 have translated perfectly into 2.1.
For instance, I changed from 2.0 to 2.1 in the middle of a translation job, and everything keeps on working – the only thing I really notice is noticeably faster opening of docs, scrolling – and no wait when the text changes pages in Page View...

Peder
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

Post Reply