Nisus and OpenOffice.Org RTF files

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
jonathandueck

Nisus and OpenOffice.Org RTF files

Post by jonathandueck »

Hi, folks.

I've found that NWE, including the new 2.1, is quite unstable when opening OpenOffice.Org RTF files. Nisus software developers / testers, OOo is available for free for you to download and verify this for yoursefl! It becomes a problem for me, because my two main work environments are Linux and OS X -- I'd like to use NWE on the Mac, but it keeps crashing on my RTF files created in OpenOffice (including RTF files created in OpenOffice on the Mac) -- especially if said RTF files contain footnotes.

A workaround I've found which (ugh) requires you to own and use Word on the Mac, is to load your OOo RTF file into Word -- which loads it, complex formatting and all, just fine. Then save using the old versions of Word (RTF file) option, i.e. "Save as" an old Word (which in this case means RTF, not DOC, oddly) file. *Usually* the resulting file will open fine in NWE, though I've found one or two RTF files which will still crash the program even after having gone through Word as an intermediate step.

Any other ideas, or perhaps bug fixes?

--Jon
charles

Post by charles »

Jon:

Is it possible for you to send us some of these sample files? (Perhaps you have already; if so please disregard.) To send us sample files, just choose Send Feedback from the Help menu. Describe the problem and select the file to send.

This is the best way to ensure we actually fix the problem you are encountering.

Thanks,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.