Satisfied Now

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
David Chunn

Satisfied Now

Post by David Chunn »

I had speed issues and problems with long documents. However, I learned to work in draft mode and make things workable. Now, I really like draft mode and the new version is a whole lot faster and is completely stable for me now. I'm ready to pay for it now. Good work.

I'd still like to see more speed. (Can't ask for too much when working on 100,000+ word documents.) Also, small caps just cause I like them. And grammar checking wouldn't be that bad.
cgc

Post by cgc »

100,000+ word documents? I wonder how many users develop docs that large. If there any way to split up files that big and have the WP load the chapters on an as-needed basis? The user would see it as one contiguous file but the WP would see it as maybe 10 smaller files. Just a thought. Maybe too hard to implement...
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

We have thought some about having an option to do this kind of splitting; RTF actually supports something like this called master documents. It is done very clumsily (IMO) in Word, but we think we could use this to help people working on very very large documents.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Peder

NWE speed

Post by Peder »

Hi,

I am having the same speed problem; initially I thought 2.1 was a great speed improvement, but as I'm nearing the end of my current translation (right now weighing in at 321 000 characters, 57 000 words – by no means a very long novel) the programme is getting unconscionably slow, particularly when beginnig a new page. Alright, I'm running in Page View, since Draft View gives me lines that are too long to be easily read... but still. The old Word 5.1 handles docs that long and longer with no slowdown whatsoever.
If at all possible, please do something about it for 2.2 – or maybe even sooner :wink:

Peder

PS I understand that I can change the line width in Draft View by changing the window width, but then I'd have to change again for Page View. How about a view with page width lines but no page breaks – would be just perfect for my kind of job.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
charles

Post by charles »

Peder:

Is it possible to send us a sample of the file you are working on? You could obscure the contents by using find and replace to jumble the words if you want. Having a representative file will really help us to optimize NWE for your needs.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
David Chunn

Post by David Chunn »

I'm not having any trouble in draft mode with 217,000 words. I'm content with that. What really took me a while is learning to adjust to having my desktop visible outside the program window. A lot of that is due to switching from a small-screen wintel notebook to the 17in iMac display. I'm sure that if I needed special fonts or more than one font in my documents I'd have problems. Still, I'm content to fork over my money at this point. And for me, that's pretty darned content.