Help! Weird underlining on deadline

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
noteon

Help! Weird underlining on deadline

Post by noteon »

Hi, all,

I'm on deadline with a story where I'm required (for nineteenth-century reasons) to submit it with all the italics indicated with underlines.

Putting aside how dumb that is in the first place, all my underlines are appearing about 10% up into the text characters, not under them. It's almost a strikethrough.

Any quick assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

What font are you using? Is it possible that you have somehow set your entire text to "subscript"? (Look in the Format menu under Baseline, I believe).

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.

dennisg

Post by dennisg »

I've never heard of this. Are you saying it appears that way on the screen or in your printouts? If it's happening on the printouts, and you're on deadline, I'd open your document in NWE 1.1.2 and print it from there. If you don't have a copy, try pasting it in to some other word processor and try that. Sorry I'm recommending another word processor, but nothing trumps a deadline.

If you don't have another one, download a demo copy of Mariner Write or Mellel and see if either one of them gets you through the crisis.
- Dennis

"Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"

noteon

Post by noteon »

Nope, nothing's set to subscript. The problem appears whether I use Courier, Courier Final Draft, or Times.

I haven't tried printing yet. I'll see if it still happens there.

Thanks for the very quick responses--I appreciate them a lot. (And it's always nice to encounter a FARGO quote.)

noteon

Post by noteon »

Okay, here's another weird thing.

Not only does the underline happen at the wrong vertical location onscreen, but it doesn't print at all. The word prints normally, but there's no underline.

Any idea what I ought to do to fix this, or do I need to go through the hassle of copying it into a different program?

Thanks...

noteon

Post by noteon »

Eureka! It's a bug.

11.5-point text doesn't handle underlines correctly. 12-point does.

And I beat my deadline. Thanks for the help!

Todd

Post by Todd »

If I understand the problem correctly, I have either the same bug or a very similar one. Italics will, on a rare occasion, turn into underlines. The underlines are unusual, too, a bit raised like noteon said. I've seen it using Big Caslon font. I haven't printed it out to see what would happen. Selecting the offending text and cancelling the underlines removes the problem completely.

Sometimes it's a result of cutting-and-pasting, other times it happens when I import a foreign file format. Then there are occasions when NWX makes the conversion out of its own whimsical nature.

The conversion isn't total, either. Some or most of the italics throughout the document will become underlines, but never all of them. And it doesn't happen while editing a document, only when opening (or re-opening) one.

Finding a particular situation that's repeatable has been difficult, though. I'm anxious for it to be consistent enough to send to the bug-swatters at HQ.

dshan

Underlining

Post by dshan »

noteon wrote:Eureka! It's a bug.

11.5-point text doesn't handle underlines correctly. 12-point does.

And I beat my deadline. Thanks for the help!
Not that I can see. I tested 2.1 with Courier at both 11.5-point and 12-point and they both underline just fine. They also print fine too. Was this a new Nisus-created document or was it converted from some other application?

noteon

Post by noteon »

I just caused it to happen again in a fresh document:

Type a 12-point word.

Make it italic.

Change it to 11.5 points.

Remove the italics.

Make it underlined.

Here, that sequence results in the misplaced underline.

dshan

Underline Problem

Post by dshan »

noteon wrote:I just caused it to happen again in a fresh document:

Type a 12-point word.

Make it italic.

Change it to 11.5 points.

Remove the italics.

Make it underlined.

Here, that sequence results in the misplaced underline.
Doing as you specified does not cause any underlining problem with 2.1 on my systems I'm afraid. I used Courier font for all tests. I then upgraded to 2.1.1 and it works fine with that version as well. I tested it on an AlBook G4 and an iBook G3, both running OS X 10.3.6.

charles

Post by charles »

I cannot reproduce the problem either, although the underline does appear to slightly run into the bottom of the text when the point size is set to 11.5. If this is all you are seeing, you might try printing and see if the underlines look OK at this size anyway. You could just be seeing an artifact of how Quartz draws lines at half-point increments.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.

noteon

Post by noteon »

Hi, Charles,

On my system, it's a bit more than what I'd call "slightly" running into text. The underscore is actually a hair higher than the baseline, so it cuts through the text characters.

That's onscreen. When I print, the underscore does not appear at all. It's plain text.

At 12-point size, neither problem appears.