Opening Classic files with Express

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
rodthomas

Opening Classic files with Express

Post by rodthomas »

Dear all
when i try to open old Classic files with Express I get a new file called 'untitled'. Then I have to copy and paste the old file name when I save and replace. This means that I would have to redo the name of all my 2000 old files. I couldn't find a option in Preferences to deal with this.
Anyway round this? I'm using 2.01
Yours Rod
MacUnix

Post by MacUnix »

Do you have access to MacLink Plus ? It used to ship with Mac's using OS 7.x systems.
NWE uses RTF as its format and you can do batch converting of Nisus classic files to Mac RTF.
rodthomas

Post by rodthomas »

Thanks for replying.
If I still had the Classic OS this might work... but I don't
I did some experimenting. I tried deleting the prefs. I tried setting NWE as the default 'Open With' application. I still get an 'untitled' copy that I have to rename. Now I notice a new problem; NWE hangs on opening files at the 'Cleaning up' stage.
Oh well, I'll come back after the next upgrade
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

All Classic document open as Untitled because we do not support saving in the Classic format. The reason for this is that Apple is phasing out resource forks, which are crucial to this format. Therefore, while we can open these files it is no longer safe to save in the same format.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
rodthomas

Post by rodthomas »

OK but what about a couple of options in the prefs that said something like
'Open as new file (safer)' and
'Open as rtf (you may lose some Classic formating features)
and thus give the user the freedom to convert files as he wishes.
Or an option/warning in the open dialogue box
Actually when I do open my Classic files with NWE the formatting seems to be fine.