Strange characters in place of quote marks

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Cornucopia

Strange characters in place of quote marks

Post by Cornucopia »

I know this has been discussed already but I'm getting odd characters instead of single and double quote marks when I open a file that has been originally created in Word, even if I have since opened it in Appleworks (where the marks display correctly) and resaved it as an RTF. I have tried setting the Plain Text Encoding in Preferences to 'Western (Mac OS Roman)' as suggested in another posting but it doesn't make any difference. When I use 'Open' to open the file, there isn't an option to choose encoding there (also as previously suggested). Files created in Appleworks, saved as RTF then opened in NWE display correctly. I'm using NWE 2.1.1 (Mac), demo version and am anticipating buying it but this sort of irritating problem might well put me off if it can't easily be resolved as I often have to work on Word files supplied to me. I'm not that keen on Appleworks and HATE Word so was really hoping NWE would be the answer!
Please help.