little footnote glitch

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
thf

little footnote glitch

Post by thf »

There is a minor bug in the footnotes (reproducable with the standard Nisus New File.dot)

Say: you have a normal text with paragraph with centered alignment. Adding a footnote also centers the footnote. Same happens with left alignment of the main text. The problem is that the footnote-style seems to inherit the alignment of the main text's style. But because the footnote-style is based on the normal-style (which has left alignment) the above reported behaviour should not occur.
Hamid

Remove Ruler

Post by Hamid »

I cannot repoduce this now, but I have encountered this in the beta.
When you place the cursor in the note which is not aligned correctly, you will see a ruler button in the Statusbar at the bottom right of the document window. Click on the ruler button and apply 'Remove Ruler'. This will align the note correctly.
thf

Post by thf »

Hi Hamid,

i wrote little glitch because it's easily solvable (you mentioned it). After reading your post I trashed the nisus-prefs and the nisus "new file.dot" and the problem is still there.

(Btw: i use an intel-mac.)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This behavior is actually intended to help out those who write in languages that flow from right to left. When they insert a footnote the alignment/direction should match that of the body text. But perhaps centering a footnote is never helpful. What does everyone think?
shades

Post by shades »

I would never expect, nor want, a centered footnote. My primary language is English, but I use secondary fonts for Hebrew, Greek, and German.

But that is just my preference.
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
thf

Post by thf »

martin wrote:This behavior is actually intended to help out those who write in languages that flow from right to left. When they insert a footnote the alignment/direction should match that of the body text. But perhaps centering a footnote is never helpful. What does everyone think?
ah, i see. but why is the footnote-style not bound to the alignment of the normal style (or any other style). That's what i expected, and not that the footnote style behaves like the actual body text-style in which the note-number is placed.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

thf wrote:but why is the footnote-style not bound to the alignment of the normal style (or any other style). That's what i expected, and not that the footnote style behaves like the actual body text-style in which the note-number is placed.
The Footnote style is actually based on Normal by default, eg: it inherits the alignment of the Normal style.

However, when you insert a footnote, NWP applies an attribute to the footnote that overrides the style. This works the same as when you bold a single word in your document, eg: the bold overrides the non-bold font of your paragraph style.

I should add that you can remove this override by using the menu Remove Ruler from the ruler tag (the little ruler icon in the bottom right corner of every document window). This tag only shows when an attribute is overriding the applied styles.
thf

Post by thf »

i understand (respectively regarding your fist post: i understood and understand) the principle and the "workaround". The question is, if the principle makes sense. I doubt that.
I think that alsmost all users want, that their footnotes are equally aligned (namely the way they formatted them in the style sheet), so it is anti-intuitive that we have this format:

> Start Example (.... indicates whitespace and is an humble visual hint for centered text):

text text text bla bla bla text text text bla bla bla text text text bla bla bla text text text bla bla blatext text text bla bla blatext text (Fn. 1) text bla bla blatext text text bla bla blatext text text bla bla blatext text text bla bla bla
..........................................HEADING (Fn. 2)
text text text bla bla bla text text text bla bla bla text text text bla bla bla text text text bla bla blatext text text bla bla blatext text (Fn. 3) text bla bla blatext text text bla bla blatext text text bla bla blatext text text bla bla bla

> End Example

I can understand your argument, that you programmed it, because of some issues concerning right to left texts. That's ok. If it is complicated to "kill" the feature and to give a style-sheet-fixed-alignment to the footnote style i can live with that.
But regarding my typing experience: i want as default a fixed alignment for my footnotes and do not want to click the ruler after adding a footnote to my centered headings (whereas the rest of my texts are never centered). An non standard footnote alignment should be the optional variant (that is: the take-the-mouse-and-click-somewhere-variant).

Btw. i never said this before: NWP: Great! :D