Bookends find macro doesn't work in NWPro Release version

Get help using and writing Nisus Writer Pro macros.
harryhoffner

Bookends find macro doesn't work in NWPro Release version

Post by harryhoffner »

Problems with the Bookends macros were reported in the beta versions, but I have just licensed the release version of Nisus Writer Pro, and found that, while the "Bookends Go" macro works, the "Bookends Find" does not. I am using the latest version (9.2.2) of Bookends, and Mac OS 10.4.10, and bookends is up and running when I attempted to use the macro.
You Official Nisus Persons reading this -- please get this working. Many of us depend on the bookends macro (and future ones for Sente and EndNote)!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Are you sure you are using the proper macro? It appears Bookends has two variants, one for Express (NWX) and another for Pro (NWP). You must use the macros written for NWP, not the ones you used with NWX.
harryhoffner

NWX or NWP

Post by harryhoffner »

It's nice to be told that Nisus ships different macros for the two programs. But (1) the one that doesn't work was downloaded as part of Nisus Writer Pro, which I licensed, not Express which I did not license -- wouldn't you think the company would know which one to include? -- and (2) there is no identifying mark anywhere on the macro that I can see that might identify it, either way.

I would like the company to give me the right macro. Is that too much to ask? :?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NWP does not come with any Bookends macros. Likely you installed those macros yourself at an earlier point- NWP will not remove those macros. You will need to install the NWP specific macros that come with recent Bookends downloads.
Hamid

Read Me

Post by Hamid »

Bookends Folder/Macros for Nisus Writer/Bookends Nisus Writer Macros Read Me.rtf:
Sonny Software supplies a set of macros that integrates Bookends with Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro.
Macros containing “NWE” are to be used if you are running Nisus Writer Express, and “NWP” should be used if you are running Nisus Writer Pro....
harryhoffner

Bookends macros

Post by harryhoffner »

The macros supplied in the place you noted do not work properly with my release version of NW Pro. Sorry. I appreciate your attempt to solve my problem.
Hamid

no problem

Post by Hamid »

The macros supplied by Sonny Software for Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro to work in conjunction with Bookends run correctly for me in both Nisus applications for which they are meant.
harryhoffner

Send me your that work

Post by harryhoffner »

Hamid, I'm afraid all your reassurances are of no help to me. Can you send me whatever Bookends files you find to be necessary and that actually work? Send them to hitt@uchicago.edu

Then I'll tell you if they work for me. Otherwise, all of this "doch..doch" is of no value at all to me.

thanks.
harryhoffner

PS - I only need those for NWP

Post by harryhoffner »

I do not have a copy of NW Express, nor do I plan to license one. So I should not need the files for NWX.

But if the macros for it are also necessary to make the macro work in NWP, then include them.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

If you do not have Bookends installed yet (or have an older version of Bookends) then first:

1. Go to the Bookends download page.
2. Download the OSX version of Bookends.
3. Install the folder from the disk image.

Now you can install the macros that are provided by Bookends:

1. Launch Nisus Writer Pro.
2. Use the menu Macro > Load Macro...
3. In the file open dialog navigate to the folder where you installed Bookends.
4. Select the file Bookends Folder:Macros for Nisus Writer:Bookends NWP Find.
5. Click the Open button and the macro should now appear on the Macros menu.
6. Repeat steps 2-5 for the macro "Bookends NWP Scan a Doc".
Last edited by martin on 2007-07-09 17:51:12, edited 1 time in total.
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

Harry,

The reason Hamid said that was not to reassure you, but to test the macro and to see if your problems with are reproducible. All systems are different, and some things are reproducible and some things are not. This is a help forum, and one of the things we do here is try to figure out differences between reproducible bugs and bugs specific to the users' systems. Sometimes (most often, actually) the developers of Nisus helpfully chime in as well.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Harry, You have not supplied any details of how the BE Find macro has failed, so it is hard to know how to help. Perhaps you are trying to use the macro in a way that won't work.

The macro might fail if BE opens the wrong database or if it doesn't know which one to open. The best way to avoid this is to open your BE database beforehand.

When I started out I made the mistake of not selecting any text. I then discovered that the macro would fail if I selected too much. You can select a small number of noncontiguous identifiers for BE to find, but you must include spaces between them or they will squash together. I prefer to select one name or identifier at a time.

When the macro is running, there is a brief message at the lower left of the NWP window. When it is finished, BE opens its Search dialog, where you can modify your choices (e.g. you can ask for A and B instead of A or B). You can also eliminate superfluous entries These might include spaces or punctuation marks that were transferred in your selection.

To tell the truth, I do not think that the Find Macro is all that useful. Certainly it is not necessary. I find it much faster to open the BE Search dialog myself (CMD-F) and to enter or paste search terms by hand.

Good Luck

-Steve
Hamid

All is well

Post by Hamid »

I wrote to Harry off list after his last post with my suggestions and he wrote back saying that now everything is working fine.