Nisus Writer Pro startup

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
designdog

Nisus Writer Pro startup

Post by designdog »

Hello, and thanks for shipping NWP - just purchased my copy.

One issue, on my 23 inch Apple display, NWP starts up in a puny screen left bottom of center. Can't seem to change this with preferences, etc.

Any ideas?

-ddog
Publius

Post by Publius »

Under Nisus Writer Pro menu, go to Preferences

New File > Advanced > Edit Nisus New File

A Nisus Pro document will open, entitled Nisus New File.dot

This is the template for new documents

Size the template document as appropriate and move it on your screen to where you want it to open.

Save

The next time you open Nisus, your document should open in the place and at the size that you put into the template.
Lanx

Post by Lanx »

Have you tried to edit the Nisus New File? You can open it from Preferences -> New File -> Extended -> Edit Nisus-New-File. Resize the window to the desired width, then, if you don't change anything other, type a letter and delete it immediately, and now you can save the Nisus New File. This saves the proportions of the window, too.
designdog

Post by designdog »

Perfect - thanks!

-ddog
Agnostus

Post by Agnostus »

That finally addresses my issue with the navigator not shown on startup. Ever since beta 1 I always work with the navigator, and I always found it cumbersome to have to set it to visible and table of contents manually. However, I think there should be an option for this in the view tab of this preference pane, as there is for viewing new docs in draft or page view.

Cheers,
Martin
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Agnostus and others

You don't have to go to the preferences to set up a new template file. You just open a new file, set up everything as you want it to be, Navigator showing, preferred type selected (or even smarter, selected Paragraph Style) tool bar showing, windows sized and positioned on the monitor, and then you save it, naming it Nisus New File and selecting the format "Document Template" which will give it a .dot suffix.

You save it to User (you) / Library / Application Support / Nisus Writer and give it the okay to overwrite the existing file.

Then close that file, open a new file and it will reflect what you have just saved.

If you want some alternative templates, make them up like that, then save them as .dot files (so they always open as untitled new files) to User (you) / Documents / Nisus Documents so they then appear in the Document Manager for easy access when you want to open a new file from that template.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
]