"Failed to add your license number

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Sabon

"Failed to add your license number

Post by Sabon »

I'm getting an error when trying to add my license number to Nisus Pro. It says:

"Failed to add your license number.
There was an error while reading or writing a file."

I had both of the Nisus Pro betas but have deleted both. I was licensed for Nisus Express and did the upgrade.

I deleted Nisus Pro and re-installed it and tried adding the license again and got the same error message.

I still have Nisus Express installed and when I click on "Nisus Writer Express" (the menu) and then Licenses it shows two licenses. When I do the same in Nisus Writer Pro it shows one license. Does that have something to do with it?
We can't stare at Windows all day. We have work to get done.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Sabon-

The error in adding your license to NWP might be explained by lack of privileges. Are you trying to add the license as a "Computer" type? If so, you will need to be logged in as an administrator.

As for the difference in the number of licenses you see in NWX or NWP- they use completely different licensing schemes. So you could have 2 NWX licenses and only 1 NWP license.

~Martin
Sabon

Post by Sabon »

martin wrote:Hi Sabon-

The error in adding your license to NWP might be explained by lack of privileges. Are you trying to add the license as a "Computer" type? If so, you will need to be logged in as an administrator.

As for the difference in the number of licenses you see in NWX or NWP- they use completely different licensing schemes. So you could have 2 NWX licenses and only 1 NWP license.

~Martin
Hmmm, I'm an administrator on the box. Could you tell me where the folder/file is located that it is trying to create/modify?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NWP saves your licenses to the Library folder of the appropriate domain, eg: you will need write access to either ~/Library or /Library.
Sabon

Post by Sabon »

martin wrote:NWP saves your licenses to the Library folder of the appropriate domain, eg: you will need write access to either ~/Library or /Library.
Thanks. I'll check it out when I get home.
Sabon

Post by Sabon »

I looked at the info for /library/Nisus Writer and it says I have read/write rights.

I can't figure out what file it is it can't write to.
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

I think you could fix the permissions problem by doing a Get Info on /Library/, setting the owner to your admin account, giving the owner read/write privileges, and then clicking the button to apply the same permissions to all enclosed items.

Now you should be able to add a computer-wide license to Nisus.

Afterward, you should set the owner of /Library/ back to system and apply that change to all enclosed items.
Last edited by Bob Stern on 2007-07-10 23:08:52, edited 1 time in total.
Sabon

Post by Sabon »

Bob Stern wrote:It's in /Library/ but not in the subfolder you're looking at. (I won't violate Nisus' security by revealing further details.)

I think you could fix the permissions problem by doing a Get Info on /Library/, setting the owner to your admin account, giving the owner read/write privileges, and then clicking the button to apply the same permissions to all enclosed items.

Now you should be able to add a computer-wide license to Nisus.

Afterward, you should set the owner of /Library/ back to system and apply that change to all enclosed items.
I opened the finder, clicked on my hard drive and found library. I picked my account from the list to give it ownership. It prompted for my username and password and I did that. I don't see anything different.

I don't blame Nisus for not wanting to give out their security secret. If they have a program that can wipe out whatever problem folder and files there are and let me start from scratch that would be great. Or someone can send me an e-mail at olsonbw at my .mac.com (without "at my".
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'll email you privately about this Sabon- I may need to collect some additional information from you.

In general this should not be a problem, as by default the admin group has read/write access to the "/Library" folder. So if the user you are using is an administrator you should have all the access you need.
Sabon

Post by Sabon »

martin wrote:I'll email you privately about this Sabon- I may need to collect some additional information from you.

In general this should not be a problem, as by default the admin group has read/write access to the "/Library" folder. So if the user you are using is an administrator you should have all the access you need.
Hi Martin. I got your e-mail and replied to it.
Sabon

Post by Sabon »

martin wrote:I'll email you privately about this Sabon- I may need to collect some additional information from you.

I figured out the terminal commands to delete the current license file. After looking through the Terminal's help I found sudo and that you type sudo rm filename and it asked me for my admin password and deleted the bad license file. I did an ls just to make sure and there was no file anymore. I was then able to successfully apply the License to Nisus Pro.

All credit goes to Martin and his program he wrote to delete the file. It didn't actually delete it but it got me (finally) on the right trail to delete the file.

Note to Martin, you've probably already seen it but I e-mailed you. Thanks again. Let me know if you want/need anymore info other than what is in the e-mail.