Are these bugs?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
KimTwemlow

Are these bugs?

Post by KimTwemlow »

Just bought NWP yesterday and have spotted a few bugs - at least I think I have. I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm doing something wrong ...

1 The cursor disappears in full screen mode, making it unusable.

2 The page counter in the bottom left corner seems to take its cue from the inserted page number, not the actual page number. For example: I have a large document that has a couple of un-numbered pages at the front (title, intro. etc). I have inserted an automatic page count starting on page three. When I scroll from the top of the document, the counter in the bottom left tells me I'm on page one, then two, then one again! This is a serious flaw. It makes it very difficult to print individual pages because you can't trust the counter. I know all I have to do is a quick subtraction, but still ...

3 What is the "Show Bookmarks" option in the Gear menu of the Navigator pane supposed to do? Mine doesn't seem to do anything. I thought it would un-tick and hide the pane, but no.

Don't get me wrong, I like the product - but I'm slightly alarmed to have discovered these things on my first day of proper use!
KimTwemlow

Post by KimTwemlow »

As suspected, I am at least a partial idiot. Forget about my cursor "bug" above. Turns out I had, um, changed the cursor colour to the same colour as the, um, page.

Ahem.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Are these bugs?

Post by martin »

KimTwemlow wrote:2 The page counter in the bottom left corner seems to take its cue from the inserted page number, not the actual page number.
The current page number displays the logical/virtual page number, which is the number you've assigned it via your section options. It sounds like you'd prefer to see the physical/actual page number. This is a feature request that has not been added yet.
What is the "Show Bookmarks" option in the Gear menu of the Navigator pane supposed to do? Mine doesn't seem to do anything.
It switches the navigator from showing your TOC to showing any bookmarks in your document- which I assume you have none of! You can add a bookmark to a bit of text using the menu Insert > Bookmarks > Add Bookmark.
KimTwemlow

Post by KimTwemlow »

Thanks Martin. I would MUCH prefer to see the actual page number - I can already see the virtual page number in my header or footer.

Am I the only one?!
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Actually, Kim, it seems to me that what you are seeing at the foot of the window IS the ACTUAL page number. Blanks are actual pages. And so long as you have your blanks in your document, then the page number in the document and the page number at the foot of the window, will be in agreement.

Alternatively, so long as you take your print cues from the window numbers, you won't have a problem.

I suppose this could be handy on the odd occasion when you do sections separately. On the other hand, I have DTPed many books in chapter sections and it has never been hard to print from the numbers at the foot of the window.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
KimTwemlow

Post by KimTwemlow »

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for replying!

I think I've described my problem incorrectly. The page count in the lower left corner is always accurate, yes, but the current page number isn't. If I have a 30 page document (with un-numbered pages at the start) and want to print, say, the page that I've numbered 23, there's nowhere I can go to see at a glance what actual page number I need to enter in the Print dialog. The page number in the footer (or header) is out of whack because of the un-numbered pages and the page counter in the lower left corner is just a copy of that "incorrect" number.

I hate to bring up MS Word - I'm only here in the first place because of its awfulness - but if it tells me that I'm on page 23 of 30, I know it's using a number that I can give to my printer, regardless of how I've numbered the document personally. Apple Pages is the same way. I think it's the standard way to go about it.

I know this is a minor issue but I do find it annoying!