NWP - Policy for use on two Macs?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Tribulatio

NWP - Policy for use on two Macs?

Post by Tribulatio »

I was a user of NWE, which I was allowed to use on my two Macs: iMac G4 and iBook G4.

I have now bought an upgrade to NWP, but it seems that another policy applies: one license per machine, and not per user.

Is this a correct understanding? If it is, can I use the same NWE license number for buying a second upgrade, or is it limited to one upgrade per license number?

I sent a question regarding this issue yesterday to Nisus support, but probably they have no time to answer now. A reply on the forum would no doubt be useful for other people as well.
dshan

Post by dshan »

There has been no change in Nisus licensing with NWP. NWE is exactly the same - one person licenses the product for use on one machine, but when you install it you have the option to limit the software to running under one user login on that machine or allowing all users on that machine to run it.

You are not allowed to install a single licensed copy of either NWE or NWP on your iMac and iBook, for that you need to either purchase two licenses or the family pack license.
Geordiekeith

On more than one Mac

Post by Geordiekeith »

I must have missd that, probably through never reading the conditions properly!
I have my licensed version of NWE on my Mac Mini and my Powerbook so I can work on files at home and while travelling - I assumed, based on the old Word model, that one user can install it on two machines provided they were not used at the same time (as in my case of desktop/portable or a work/home) approach.
If I have to buy separate licenses for Pro for my Mini and Powerbook I won't bother upgrading.
Tribulatio

Post by Tribulatio »

Same for me, I was not aware of that, and I was using my license on two Macs in good faith! I became aware of the issue only when reading the manual coming along with NWP.

Anyway, since it is a really nice upgrade, I do not mind, and I have bought a second upgrade license in order to install it legally on both Macs!
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

I have my licensed version of NWE on my Mac Mini and my Powerbook so I can work on files at home and while travelling
I have had the same set-up for the last 15 years. It is logical! I NEVER use the 2 copies at the same time - why should I pay twice? On the other hand, there are three of us in the family using Nisus, each has his own licence on his or her own computer.
Anne
gemboy27

same as

Post by gemboy27 »

Isn't this the same as if you had the Nisus on a CD --- or a perhaps a usb memory --- and took it from computer to computer
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Agnostus

Post by Agnostus »

The competition is more generous here. Redlers... or is it RedleX... well, the Mellel guys, explicitly state in their license text that one license can be used on more than one machine, granted it is not used simultaneously by two or more users. The per-machine license model is not uncommon (e.g. iCalamus is licensed the same way). However, OMNI seems to have a nice compromise: If you license e.g. OMNIGraffle for one user only, the license is personal and can be used on more than one machine. I think Nisus should consider offering that option (they already have the option to license for one user only after all).

To be on the safe side, I bought a second license for my portable. If nothing else, it gives me the good feeling of supporting an independent software developer :)

Talking about licenses... I am a grad-student, and in theory would be entitled for an academic license. Problem is, I am not in the US, and therefore my university mail address does not have one of the required academic top level domains, so I didn't even get beyond the first web form for academic users... :cry:
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

You should have emailed the guys at Nisus about the academic license. They probably could have worked something out.

Quote:

Should you not have a valid academic email address, you may send us proof of your academic status (eg: a scan/photo of your student/faculty ID card). Please email such requests to sales@nisus.com or fax us at at (858) 764-0573.

End Quote

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
Agnostus

Post by Agnostus »

Thanks Scott,

I guess I was too hasty.

Well, considering the time I spend in Nisus it was worth paying the full price. Express has been my main word processor for two years now, and has proven an almost perfect tool for writing scientific manuscripts. Pro makes life even easier thanks to the navigator.

Currently, I am playing around with the glossaries feature. My field (palaeontology) involves a lot of taxonomy, so I have to type a lot of species names with authorship. The glossary can save a lot of work here. Plans are to set up a glossary file with names and authotrship. Maybe this can even be further enhanced with macros; usually one abbreviates the generic name after the first occurrence in a paragraph. I guess that could be done by means of Perl.

Well, I shouldn't bore you guys...

Cheers,
Martin
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

Agnostus wrote:Thanks Scott,

Well, I shouldn't bore you guys...
You're very welcome. And never fear...we live for that kind of stuff. I've never really found a use for glossaries, but now I do. Glossaries and academic writing were meant for each other. Sometimes I'm a bit slow with these things. Thanks for the tip.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
Geordiekeith

Post by Geordiekeith »

Well I decided to stop being curmudgeonly (partly) and paid for the upgrade to Pro which is now installed on my home set-up (Mac Mini). But I'll leave Express on my Powerbook as I don't need all the extras while travelling. Hope that isn't going to get me into trouble.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Post by dave »

Here is what our license says about two different machines:

"Second or Portable Computer Provision
You may use a copy of the software on a second or portable computer, as long as the extra copy is never Loaded at the same time the Software is Loaded on the primary computer on which you use the Software."

I hope that answers your questions.

Dave
nicka

Post by nicka »

Where 'loaded' means 'present in RAM'? So you can install and use NWP on two machines as long as you don't use it on both simultaneously?

Technically, (if I am interpreting this correctly) this means that you have to quit NWP on your laptop before firing it up on your desktop computer, rather than just putting the laptop to sleep, which would leave it in memory.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Hey, Dave, welcome back! Did you take a week off over 4th July or something? A mini thread developed on the Dartmouth list -- "Where's Dave?" we asked when the announcement of NWPro's release came without a single fanfare, no concourse of angels singing, not even a flying brick to wake us all up.

Nicka, what do you do for a hobby? Beat yourself with a barbed wire cat'o'nine tails? :lol:

I would imagine (although I haven't tried it with NW) that if you have both your Macs connected to a network, the second NW launched will detect the the fact that the first NW is already active and come up with a resigned, yet firm message, of the ilk of "come on, guy, get with the agenda -- one machine at a time" and refuse to launch. Whether that would work when a Mac is comatose, I don't know. I suspect it would.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Geordiekeith

Post by Geordiekeith »

dave wrote:Here is what our license says about two different machines:

"Second or Portable Computer Provision
You may use a copy of the software on a second or portable computer, as long as the extra copy is never Loaded at the same time the Software is Loaded on the primary computer on which you use the Software."

I hope that answers your questions.

Dave
Well that sounds like the logical way I expected the license to to work - in normal non-legalese speak I translate it as the software can be installed (note, installed not loaded) on two computers used by the licensee where both computers will not be used simultaneously. This was the way the license for Word was when I was in academia (university research) and industry (pharma), as confirmed by the legal departments - staff had a license for their office and home machines on the basis that they were not being used at the same time.

I still have to use Word on my work machine (and IBM PC), but transfer everything via USB keys to my Macs for the better environment, and now I look forward to continuing to do so.

Thanks for the clarification Dave, and the return...