Redraw problems

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
KimTwemlow

Redraw problems

Post by KimTwemlow »

I mentioned this through the Feedback option in the NWP Help menu but would like to hear a proper response here, or at least hear what other users think.

NWP seems to regularly - in my case, as often as not - fail to erase the top of the caret when I'm typing. Yes, I know it's not the end of the world but it's extremely annoying.

The issue was covered a long time ago in this thread:
http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... light=dots
and the answer seems to have been "It's Apple's fault". If that's so, why doesn't it happen in any other word processor? Surely something can be done about it.

I've also noticed that NWP draws a white line (like an inverse strike-through) in some of the text when I drag the scroll button.

I feel like a bit of a tool pointing out such small problems, but they're ruining my initial experience with the program!
greenmorpher

Re: Redraw problems

Post by greenmorpher »

KimTwemlow wrote:I've also noticed that NWP draws a white line (like an inverse strike-through) in some of the text when I drag the scroll button.

I feel like a bit of a tool pointing out such small problems, but they're ruining my initial experience with the program!
Well, if you're going for Tool of the Week, Kim, you're out of luck. :lol:

I've had those experiences too. They only appear under certain circumstances and they disappear too, but you're right -- they're like a zit on the face of beauty.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

KimTwemlow wrote:the answer seems to have been "It's Apple's fault". If that's so, why doesn't it happen in any other word processor?
The problem will only manifest in programs that make use of the system text layout engine. This excludes programs that use their own layout engine (eg: MSWord), or use the HTML layout engine (eg: Pages).

If I recall correctly, it also only occurs when a document is zoomed to an "unfavorable" zoom percentage. For instance 100% or 200% will not trigger the problem, but if you have the "Show Page Width" option on then you might be zoomed to some arbitrary percent like 167%.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

martin wrote:
KimTwemlow wrote:the answer seems to have been "It's Apple's fault". If that's so, why doesn't it happen in any other word processor?
The problem will only manifest in programs that make use of the system text layout engine. This excludes programs that use their own layout engine (eg: MSWord), or use the HTML layout engine (eg: Pages).
Now that's very interesting that Apple set up RTF as the Cocoa standard -- then used the HTML layout engine for its own Pages!
If I recall correctly, it also only occurs when a document is zoomed to an "unfavorable" zoom percentage. For instance 100% or 200% will not trigger the problem, but if you have the "Show Page Width" option on then you might be zoomed to some arbitrary percent like 167%.
My NW is always set at 128%, Martin, one of the nominated zooms in NWE and NWPro -- and, in fact, the necessary zoom to give me very close to a true 100% real world view on my monitor.

I have heard that Leopard will (finally!) adjust for different monitor sizes/resolutions. Maybe that will help.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

greenmorpher wrote:Now that's very interesting that Apple set up RTF as the Cocoa standard -- then used the HTML layout engine for its own Pages!
I should clarify that both layout engines can import/export RTF and HTML. Had I referred to the engine as "WebKit", the technical name for Page's layout engine, this probably would have been more clear- sorry.
KimTwemlow

Post by KimTwemlow »

Thanks for the replies.

It could be my imagination, but I think the problem diminishes at 125% (a round-ish figure?). I've set my new file template to that zoom at any rate.
Elbrecht

redrawin'

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -
with NW Classic I hand a font that did not draw "in toto" even while printing - opened with Fontographer I found out: the missing part in displaying AND printing was below the descent line! Ascent + descent = 1000 is the standard - the Futura version in question had a small letter "g" the descent of which reached out of the 1000 [em square] and got cut right at the line - in display AND print.
This problem concerns diacritically marked characters mostly, so I now opened a font with multi-marked characters definitely breaking the ascent line and the NEW thing is: under Tiger the same font [if] "installed" now opens differently in Fontographer: ascent 920 + descent 251 = 1171 [instead of 1000], i.e. the text engine is more flexible now.
With fixed lines there was/is no problem printing, but the display still needs redrawing to make sure what's entered...
HE
Elbrecht

...fixed line display bug

Post by Elbrecht »

Again -

1) with line spacing there are 2 options: multiple and fixed -
2) the cursor behaves different as do the characters displayed:
3) cursor height in multiple mode: descent+ascent+/-leading
4) cursor height in fixed mode: ascent+/-leading only, that's why
5) letters with lower descent get cut off when entering text - i.e.
6) the display works fine for the height of the cursor concerned only.
7) Try yourself entering in sequence: "gjpqydddd" in fixed line spacing.

...I count this as a display bug in fixed line height mode.

Anyone else on this?

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I entered "gjpqydddd" using Futura 12pt into a paragraph with the line spacing set to 15pt fixed and had no troubles. Perhaps you can submit a document using Help > Send Feedback, thanks.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Well Martin you are right with Tiger Futura -

but the problem is with all state of art Monotype PS fonts I am using, so may be that's why... MT Joanna, MT Gill Sans, MT Perpetua all behave the way I described - best to be viewed enlarged: 60pt/75pt fixed line spacing: g-j-p-q-y-d-d-d

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Martin again -

I sent screenshots via Feedback to look for yourself. The display/redraw problem must be connected with the cursor differing in multiple/fixed line spacing mode. It is just because of the cursor missing the descent area in fixed line spacing for some reason, that the descender of my PS fonts don't get displayed in toto as should.
You can redraw, i.e. force to draw the character in toto, by entering new line, but that's not what it is for. And you can even reproduce the cut off descenders by now deleting the new line again - you can repeat this draw/redraw bug endlessly, if at the very end of text entered.
For me the fixed line cursor needs upgrade to what it is in multiple mode...

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
109%

Post by 109% »

Hello,

Just wondering if this problem was indeed fixed by Leopard. I haven't upgraded yet myself -- can anyone with first-hand experience shine any light?

Thanks in advance.