First Impressions

Nisus Thesaurus, Nisus Writer Classic– this is the place for all other Nisus products.
JBL

First Impressions

Post by JBL »

I must admit that I find Nisus Thesaurus a little confusing at first. Maybe I'll get used to it.

So the first think I type into it is neck. I get two senses of "neck" under similar:
As in "external body part"
cervix ->

As in "pet" (v.)
make out ->

I take it the "As in" is a super-ordinate category and "cervix" and "make out" are supposed to be synonyms? But why are there super-ordinates in the right column when I have "Similar" rather than "more general" selected in the left column". This doesn't really convey the hierarchy suggested by the "More General" and "More Specific" labels. It seems like the natural thing to do would be to have columns to the left get more general and columns to the right get more specific. That leaves out the parts hierarchy, I suppose but you could have a pop-up button that allowed you to switch between the ontological hierarchy and the part-whole hierarchy. Just an idea.

Then I click on "make out" and I get a definition. But the definition is "as in 'recognize.'" There is nothing there about making out as in necking.

So then I type in "bird". Under similar there are all sorts of things in the right column but, I guess their are no "as in vertebrate" synonyms for bird so "as in vertebrate doesn't even show up. That seems a little strange.

Anyway, this is interesting. I don't know if it is more or less useful than a traditional thesaurus, such as that included in NW 6.5.

I don't know what your plans are. In some ways it would be nice to have a bunch of services that could be used in other applications rather than features built into NW that only work with NW. On the other hand, it will get to be a bit annoying if one has to start shelling out $20 per feature that was included in 6.5.
gemboy27

no

Post by gemboy27 »

I am sorry, but a great idea has gone terribly wrong

the time ran out on the nisus thesurus, ALL

let me say that again, ALL other word processors have a theaurus, but NISUS offers you a free one that the time runs out on.

forget that they had a great word processor that they just made a MS Word clone out of, why get your hopes up and drag a dream away

stay away from Nisus
charles

Re: no

Post by charles »

gemboy27 wrote:I am sorry, but a great idea has gone terribly wrong

the time ran out on the nisus thesurus, ALL

let me say that again, ALL other word processors have a theaurus, but NISUS offers you a free one that the time runs out on.
Maybe you haven't looked at the Nisus Thesaurus page lately. 1.0 inadvertently included an expiration date, which we discovered within a few hours of posting it (several days before Thesaurus was to expire). By that evening we posted a new release, 1.0.1 that does not expire. It is also free, so you can go download it right away.

I'm sorry if this has caused you some problems, but you can get the latest version now by going to

http://www.nisus.com/thesaurus

Hope that makes your life a little better!

-Charles
gemboy27

yes

Post by gemboy27 »

I got the message from Nisus and have it now.

I like it, as word smithing goes, it's great to have definitions...not so easy o plase, the command > doesn't work for me, but not such a big deal