Splash Screen & Text Box

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
steve nguyen

Splash Screen & Text Box

Post by steve nguyen »

Two questions:

(1) Is there any way to get rid of that Nisus Writer Pro splash screen?

(2) Is there a way to add a "text box" like in MS Word? I found a slight workaround by adding a table and typing text inside of it, but a text box is much more flexible in letting you position it anywhere on the page, whereas a table is limited.

Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm afraid both of these things are not possible. There is no way to remove/hide the splash screen and we do not support text boxes / floating text.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Hello Steven

You can, of course, insert a text box by using a graphics program with LinkBack.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
darthkt

splash page?

Post by darthkt »

I assume by splash page you mean the "About Nisus" window that appears at startup. It is irritating that it just hangs there and doesn't go away unless I close it. For some reason I don't remember having it hang there permanently until recently.

Kevin T.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

In my case, that behaviour only started with Leopard. I have Nisus Writer Pro set up to launch in a space of its own, and the splash screen doesn't seem to go away by itself in that configuration. I contacted Nisus a couple of times during the beta testing of NWP 1.0.2, but I haven't received any confirmation yet.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

Strange, when I start up NWP (demo) the splash page disappear just after the application has launched. It's replaced by another splash page that tells me:
The demo period for this copy of Nisus Writer Pro has expired.

You can continue to use Nisus Writer Pro, but saving will be disabled and document will print with a watermark. But if you like it, why not register today? You can purchase a license on the web at store.nisus.com.
I do not remember how it appeared or disappeared during the demo/trial period. though.

This splash page or dialogue box only disappear after I have clicked on the button "Use Unlicensed". But that would be the proper way to do it, when it's a dialogue box. The proper way for a real splash page to disappear, would probably be automatic just after the application has been launched.
Peter Edwardsson
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The splash screen is set to remove itself from your screen after the application has finished launching. Only after the release of Leopard has anyone reported this as being an issue. We believe this is a bug in Spaces on Leopard and are looking for a work around (or hoping Apple fixes it).
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

martin wrote:The splash screen is set to remove itself from your screen after the application has finished launching. Only after the release of Leopard has anyone reported this as being an issue. We believe this is a bug in Spaces on Leopard and are looking for a work around (or hoping Apple fixes it).
I do have Leopard (10.5.1) on my new MacBook Pro and the splash screen disappear after the application has launched.
Peter Edwardsson
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

MacSailor wrote:I do have Leopard (10.5.1) on my new MacBook Pro and the splash screen disappear after the application has launched.
The problem is intermittent. It also seems to require that Spaces be enabled for the user account.
darthkt

splash box + leopard + spaces

Post by darthkt »

I am seeing the splash box of "About Nisus Writer Pro" and am running 10.5.1 and using Spaces. So yes, I'm seeing it too. Just glad that Nisus knows about it.

I also see some blurring/text over text in the footnotes when I scroll (can cause a mild heart attack, at first!), as if footnotes of mixing together. Obviously this is in page view. But clicking in the footnote box area quickly fixes the strange view. So, no biggie, once I know the data is not mixed!

Thanks for a great piece of software. I'm really enjoying learning it. I've found it quite intuitive, despite decades of Word usage. I love the command-3 move to a style page--genius!

Kevin T.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

martin wrote:
MacSailor wrote:I do have Leopard (10.5.1) on my new MacBook Pro and the splash screen disappear after the application has launched.
The problem is intermittent. It also seems to require that Spaces be enabled for the user account.
I have Spaces enabled for my user account as well.
Peter Edwardsson
Derick

Re: Splash Screen & Text Box

Post by Derick »

I would love to see an option to disable the splash. Splash screens seem to be an unpleasant holdover from the cluttery aesthetics of OS 9 and previous. (NWP and Filemaker, both programs with old mac roots, are the only programs I use that have splash screens). Also disable the bouncing dock. I'd like to just start Nisus, let it grind away while it loads / imports & be able to do something else without being interrupted twice. Then after a few minutes I can go check and see if it's done importing.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

I just checked, and Mariner, Mellel, Papyrus, and Ragtime all have a splash screen.

Hey, it was something to do late on Saturday night! :D
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

I just keep Nisus open and running 24/7. So I guess I don't see the splash screen too often, or worry about how long it takes to load.

Philip
philip
John Beatty

Post by John Beatty »

I also have (had) a version of this problem. In particular, on both of my Lion machines the splash screen appeared and could not be closed. After reading this thread, it occurred to me to at least minimize the visibility of the splash screen by positioning it almost entirely off-screen, which I then attempted to do so by moving it left. In the process Lion moved it to an adjacent desktop (ne "space"). I moved it back. Then, I think, I tried to position it nearly off the bottom of the screen. Shortly thereafter I discovered that the three radio-like buttons upper left in the splash screen, in particular the close button, had been enabled and I was then able to close the splash screen. Now when I quit, then relaunch NWP I see no splash screen whatsoever - either it's brought up and then dismissed too fast for me to see, or it's not being brought up at all. (This on a 2.2 GHz MacBookPro3,1.) For what it's worth...