Page N of M footer: bug

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Bob Stern

Page N of M footer: bug

Post by Bob Stern »

I have encountered a bug when creating a footer containing the text “Page N of M”, where N is the symbol for the automatic current page number (Insert > Automatic Number > Page Number).

NWP appears to allocate a fixed width for the automatic current page number that is adequate only for a 1-digit number. When the automatic page number has two digits, it abuts the succeeding word “of”. Even inserting two spaces between the automatic page number and “of” is insufficient to prevent them from abutting. Inserting three spaces looks too unprofessional for pages 1-9.

My workaround is to insert a section break in the middle of page 9, edit the footer on page 10, and tick the checkbox to use a different footer for this section.

The problem seems independent of what font I use. I tried Times New Roman (TrueType), Times (Type 1 Postscript), and Baskerville in both the body and the footer.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Bob, could you please send me a feedback report with the file? I've not been able to observe the issue in a vanilla document I created. Thanks!
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

I sent a sample document to Nisus via the Feedback mechanism immediately after posting the msg on this forum.

(I thought posting it on the forum might be helpful to others, assuming the problem is not unique to me.)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks, I see the feedback- I'll take a look and see what we can do.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Well -

it works aligned left - but bugs aligned center and aligned right...

Right?

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

I also had the problem aligned left.

Detecting the problem can be tricky because the width of the automatic page number changes as you move the cursor to different parts of the document. Sometimes it looks right, then it will change when you look at it again.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

OK -

mine were all empty pages to test...

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4