NWE still not serviceable - what/when 1.1?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
chl

NWE still not serviceable - what/when 1.1?

Post by chl »

:?:
I wish I could have spent more time with NWE 1.0. But alas it crashes too often to be used for work. I am hoping the 1.1 will be serviceable enough to be used routinely so that I can enjoy it and contribute more to the effort.

When should 1.1 arrive? Is there a good prospect for a serviceable level of stability?

It looks like I will have to start the academic year in NW 6 under classic under OS X --- solid but document prep (pdfs) is too complex.

I am not really complaining as much as hoping for information.

Cheers
charles

Re: NWE still not serviceable - what/when 1.1?

Post by charles »

chl wrote::?:
I wish I could have spent more time with NWE 1.0. But alas it crashes too often to be used for work. I am hoping the 1.1 will be serviceable enough to be used routinely so that I can enjoy it and contribute more to the effort.

When should 1.1 arrive? Is there a good prospect for a serviceable level of stability?
1.1 should be available in about a month or so. It will be a free upgrade for all registered 1.0 users. Please make sure you have send us bug reports for any crashes you encounter. (Use the Send Feedback tool in the help menu). Otherwise we will not be able to fix the bugs.

-Charles
drjdg

I almost feel guilty for saying this

Post by drjdg »

Y'know, it's true that not having footnotes makes NWE essentially unusable for writing articles or book chapters, and there are other features I miss (especially the graphics layer) -- BUT -- my experience hasn't been all negative.

I've been using NWE for syllabi and various other course materials, and I've been pretty pleased. It generates nice PDFs for me, I can work in a familiar environment, and I haven't managed to crash NWE by using it yet (although it has bombed a few times if I try to log out or shut down without quitting it first). It doesn't open complex Word docs very well, but for what I need it's OK since I'm mostly reading pretty simple files. I think it's a good start.

This is not to say that I wish to take any of the pressure off of the NWE development team to provide a fully-functional word processor ASAP, but we carp a lot in these forums, and even if it's just the beer talking, I felt compelled to admit that I'm glad to have NWE and think they're off to a good start.

Now give me my damn footnotes!!! javascript:emoticon(':D')
Fireball1244

Post by Fireball1244 »

Make that footnotes and user-definable styles, and I'll be very happy.

Kirk
Q

Post by Q »

Even today....

When we can see 1.1?
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

charles wrote:
chl wrote::?:

1.1 should be available in about a month or so. It will be a free upgrade for all registered 1.0 users. Please make sure you have send us bug reports for any crashes you encounter. (Use the Send Feedback tool in the help menu). Otherwise we will not be able to fix the bugs.

-Charles
Will the 1.1 be avalable soon? Tomorrow the promised month has pasted :-)

Will there be a version available for people like me, who has not upgraded to Jaguar yet, and still are waiting for the new Panther?

I haven't been able to test the 1.0 version yet, so I am hoping for a quick release of Panther or a new Nisus version working with MacOS 10.1.5.
charles

Post by charles »

Peter Edwardsson wrote: Will the 1.1 be avalable soon? Tomorrow the promised month has pasted :-)

Will there be a version available for people like me, who has not upgraded to Jaguar yet, and still are waiting for the new Panther?

I haven't been able to test the 1.0 version yet, so I am hoping for a quick release of Panther or a new Nisus version working with MacOS 10.1.5.
1.1 will be available soon! We are working on fixing any remaining bugs and doing internal testing. As is always with developing software, last minute bugs and other issues can always creep up that force us to delay our release schedule a bit. Nevertheless, we are working very hard to get this new release out as soon as possible.

I can tell you that the minimum operating system version we will likely ever support in Nisus Writer Express is Mac OS X 10.2. However, we have added special support for 10.3 to take advantage of some of the new features in Panther. Apple has done some great things with Panther, so if you have been waiting to upgrade, this version would definitely be a good time to do so.

-Charles
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

charles wrote:
1.1 will be available soon!

However, we have added special support for 10.3 to take advantage of some of the new features in Panther. Apple has done some great things with Panther, so if you have been waiting to upgrade, this version would definitely be a good time to do so.

-Charles
Sounds great! When Apple release their Panther, I will order my own copy of NWE at once 8)
suthercd

v1.1

Post by suthercd »

I now use NWE for 90% of my word processing needs. The limitations of the functions provided with the v.10 release do become more than a nusance however. I just d/l'ed 1.0.3 but cannot find any documentation that lists what has changed. I have used NWE on different iterations of 10.3 as they have been released and have found it to be stable.

You had provided beta versions of 1.0 for bug testing. Will you be doing that with v1.1? The community can be a great resource. We all want this product to succeed- you have a loyal group here that you can use.

Craig
charles

Re: v1.1

Post by charles »

suthercd wrote:You had provided beta versions of 1.0 for bug testing. Will you be doing that with v1.1? The community can be a great resource. We all want this product to succeed- you have a loyal group here that you can use.
Hi Craig:

We decided not to do a public beta for version 1.1 because we wanted to keep the beta cycle as short as possible. As helpful as a public beta can be, it generates a huge volume of feedback, much of which does not help us catch problems but that we have to spend time responding to anyway. We are still doing some extensive beta testing (over 250 people are in our beta program), but we are doing it privately.

As an update: 1.1 is proceeding nicely. We are in the midst of fixing lots of little things. As soon as the quality is where we want it to be, we will release; probably in the next few weeks. It will be a free update for all registered users of 1.0, of course.

Cheers,
-Charles