quiet pre-release thread

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
martin
Official Nisus Person

quiet pre-release thread

Post by martin »

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know that Nisus Writer Pro 1.0.1 is available for download. At this point we're keeping the release quiet and not notifying the general population until later today- I'd appreciate it if you don't spread the news beyond this thread. Thanks!

For those of you who already have Nisus Writer Pro 1.0 installed, download the update.

If you do not have Nisus Writer Pro 1.0, download the full trial version.
Last edited by martin on 2007-09-14 00:47:15, edited 1 time in total.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Thanks, Martin. Wow -- I don't even know what most of those fixes are, let alone how to trip over them. You guys have been getting a bit of work done! Thanks from a happy customer. (But don't forget about the vertical ruler in the next version!)

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Ok - I am stuck - at the install of the update it says do you want update some previous files with a .dot when i opened nisus pro - what do i do? what does this mean? I have no clue as to what i am answering to?

thank you.
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Ok since I did not know what do re: above incident and the .dot thing I went back to the older version yet I still get this .dot choice re: older files or some such thing and I cannot even use the older version of Pro? now what do i do?

I never should have done this stupid update.

Thank you.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

NWP 1.0.1 needs your permission to update Nisus New File.dot, the template file on which every new Nisus document (unless specified otherwise) is based. You will need to do that in order to use NWP after the update, and you'll only need to click the Ok button. So go ahead and apologise to the update for calling it stupid over such a trivial issue! ;-)
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Ok thanks - it wasn't trivial if I did not know if I was going to screw up my files or templates. I am still fuzzy what if I tweaked my opening default nisus template re: size and font type and size? If I do not know what to do and what that means or if I will overwrite or delete my stuff than I cannot even procede to open writer - that means I cannot use it or get my work done. And the only apology is to my lack of knowledge of these various elements of computing.
Last edited by K-9 on 2007-09-13 07:30:29, edited 1 time in total.
K-9

Post by K-9 »

i did what you said but it goofed up my stuff - so that was not a dumb question and it was an real inconvenience! That is why I asked.

Thanks for the comment.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

By the way, some of your settings may have changed during the upgrade. You can always click on Nisus Writer Pro>Preferences, New File, Advanced and click on the Edit Nisus New File button. The document that opens is the template on which every new Nisus document is based; if you make changes to that file (font size, margins, window size) and save them, these changes will be reflected in every new document that you create from that moment on.
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Ok - thanks - I will probably always say NO instead of OK from now on. I will also stay with the earlier version and forget the updates.

Not everyone knows all of the various aspects of macs and nisus and also many are not geeks. This is the first time I ever encountered this question in openeing any file and I hadn't a clue what to do. And I have been using computers enough and some high end apps to know that you pick the wrong thing - there can be major consequences.

I am still not sure what this question is asking re: updating or leavin as is.

Thank you.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We could probably stand to clarify the update/replacement dialog so the user understands the choices better- I'll file an enhancement request.

However, now that you understand what the Nisus New File does, there's no harm in running 1.0.1 instead of 1.0. In fact, there's benefits to be missed if you don't. Just don't replace the file when you're prompted next time.
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Thank you Martin; but I am afraid there will not be a next time...

best wishes.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

greenmorpher wrote:Wow -- I don't even know what most of those fixes are, let alone how to trip over them. You guys have been getting a bit of work done! Thanks from a happy customer. (But don't forget about the vertical ruler in the next version!)
Thanks Geoff. And yeah, those release notes can be pretty technical. My suggestion that we write simply "way many fixes, much gooderer" was rejected :P
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

K-9,

Accepting that (or hitting OK) cannot "screw up your files and templates." It can only overwrite one template: your Nisus New File.dot, which mrennie defined very clearly in her post. If your Nisus New File is overwritten and you have made changes, simply edit the Nisus New File (in the Preferences) and fix it back to the way it was (set font, copy default styles back in, etc.) and then click Save. All new files are based on this template. Nothing else should have been affected.

It is a simple process. It is hardly disastrous. None of your other files should have been touched. The update is anything but stupid and provides many fixes and features that we have asked for on here.

And applying updates is a fact of software life.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
K-9

Post by K-9 »

no response from tech help - and no one answers their phones at this company. Customer service is a farce. Can't get my money refunded withing this 30 day period for absolute shabby service all the way around.

Great apps. Sucky company!

Pocketed my money and everyone is out surfing i guess!
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

K-9,

If it will get you to stop sending badly written tirades to this forum, I will refund your money.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3