Nisus Writer Express 3.0 released!

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Writer Express 3.0 released!

Post by martin »

Nisus Writer Express 3.0 has been officially released. You can read all about the additional features and fixes in the release notes. Please note that this is a paid upgrade for existing Express users.

For those of you who already have Nisus Writer Express 2.7 installed, download the update.

If you do not have Nisus Writer Express 2.7, download the full version.
HeatherKay

Post by HeatherKay »

I'm confused. I have a full 2.7 Express single seat installation here, so do I purchase a full copy of 3.0 at $45, or the upgrade at $30?

(Either way, with the current sterling/dollar rates, it's a steal! :D )

And how do I retrieve my licence number? I've changed Mac since my first installation, and it was probably in the emails on the old machine...
craigminah

Post by craigminah »

I too think the pricing scheme is odd. I have a NWE 2.7 key so I can either upgrade to NWE 3 for $30 or upgrade to NWP 1.01 for $45. It seems that the upgrade to NWE 3 should be much less than what it is.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

HeatherKay wrote:And how do I retrieve my licence number? I've changed Mac since my first installation, and it was probably in the emails on the old machine...
If you can't find it, please write to our customer support.
Geordiekeith

Steep

Post by Geordiekeith »

Have to agree with previous comments that $30 is a bit steep (that's British for expensive) for an upgrade from 2.7 to 3.0. I'll stick to the Pro version now.
dshan

Post by dshan »

HeatherKay wrote:I'm confused. I have a full 2.7 Express single seat installation here, so do I purchase a full copy of 3.0 at $45, or the upgrade at $30?

(Either way, with the current sterling/dollar rates, it's a steal! :D )

And how do I retrieve my licence number? I've changed Mac since my first installation, and it was probably in the emails on the old machine...
The upgrade at $30 of course! The upgrade is for people like you who are currently using NWX 2.7 (or earlier). The full license is for people who have never used NWX before.

As to your losing your previous license key - if you upgraded to your new Mac using Apple's wonderful Migration Assistant utility it would have copied all your documents across from your old machine, including your license key email (assuming you saved it somewhere on the old machine of course and didn't just delete it after activating your old NWX. Saving your license key info is highly recommended.)
dshan

Re: Steep

Post by dshan »

Geordiekeith wrote:Have to agree with previous comments that $30 is a bit steep (that's British for expensive) for an upgrade from 2.7 to 3.0. I'll stick to the Pro version now.
I don't think Nisus really expect too many users to buy or upgrade both NWP and NWX. if you're already using NWP (either bought new or having previously upgraded from NWX 2.x) of course you'll stick with Pro from now on. NWX 3.0 is for those who are staying with Express as they don't need the extra features of NWP.

The upgrade pricing for NWX is not out of line compared to most other commercial applications nowadays - most charge about 2/3 of the new price for upgrades. I agree that it's too much, 1/3 - 1/2 new price is about what I think it should be in most cases, but you must also remember that this is the first upgrade of NWX since 1.0 was released that has cost anything. And don't forget that until a few months ago new copies of NWX were priced higher than $45, it was $59.95 when I bought NWX 1.0 back in the day. So in my case an upgrade to 3.0 is only 50% what I (and many others) paid for the old version.
acoyne

Post by acoyne »

I'm sorry -- $30 for a grab bag of minor tweaks? No thanks.
HeatherKay

Post by HeatherKay »

dshan wrote:As to your losing your previous license key - if you upgraded to your new Mac using Apple's wonderful Migration Assistant utility it would have copied all your documents across from your old machine
Ah, yes, but I chose not to migrate the bazillion emails from the old system, as it was getting unwieldy. :wink:

I suspect I shall have to dig the G4 out of the cupboard and see if it still goes... :lol:

Cheers
Hamid

instant lookup

Post by Hamid »

HeatherKay wrote:And how do I retrieve my licence number? I've changed Mac since my first installation, and it was probably in the emails on the old machine...
If your email address has not changed, try this instant lookup service:
http://www.nisus.com/support/license.php
HeatherKay

Post by HeatherKay »

I just tried loads of combinations, but none was recognised. I think the PowerBook will need to be started after all.

Thanks for the link, though.
joao

Post by joao »

For those who think the upgrade price is too high, I think it's important to remember that this is the first time Nisus has actually charged for an upgrade since the product was released - and if my memory serves me correctly, NWE was released more than four years ago.

This sure doesn't sound like a high upgrade price to me. NWE has been - and continues to be - a substantial bargain.