Strange characters opening NWE docs in Pro

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ngazidja

Strange characters opening NWE docs in Pro

Post by ngazidja »

Not that I'm a strange character, but I've just opened a document that was created in NWE 2.7 with my new NW Pro and there certainly a few in there...

All my pound signs (that's British currency symbol, ie "£" and not what I call "hash" and Americans call pound, ie "#") have become "ú" (I'm assuming these are coming through, but you never know, that was a "u" with an acute accent). At the same time all my "€" symbols (that the "e" for euro symbol) have turned into little black squares.

This is going to be a pain if it's global - anyone any idea what's going on?
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

No such problem here.

I would suggest your first move should be to make sure you have the right languages selected throughout NWPro in File | Prefs | New File | Format, and in Prefs | Languages, and in Prefs | Quickfix | Language; also in Menu bar | Format | Language ... just to make sure they are all consistent.

Next step, check your font and its characters. Go to the flag menu in the menu bar, top right of your window, and select "Show Character Palette" (or get the same thing by going to Menu Bar | Edit | Special Characters...).

These settings all need to be the same as the settings you had for NWE.

And what about the system settings in respect of all these things.

I don't know how all these things interact, actually, but if you fix them all, you are likely to hit the one which is causing your problem, I suspect.

If these things are correct and the £ (option-3 on my keyboard set to Australian English) still shows as ú, then it looks like a bug! 8-)

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

The chances of all these different settings being the same are, I would say, zero!

I've just left Sunny Sydney for the UK so I'm switching (why I should bother I don't know, psychological, I expect) everything to British, but there's a lot that's still Australian on my Mac, and, of course, much that comes in from the outside world has US settings.

The keyboard (ie system settings) have to stay Australian, otherwise I'd have no idea where anything was, and, yes, for me too the £ sign is opt-3 on my keyboard (funny how Melbourne can be like Sydney sometimes :wink:).

(Anyone know where the € is on a British keyboard? It's not shift-opt 2...)

But these things shouldn't make a difference to the output, only to the input. If the £ sign is in the document and correctly coded (in Unicode?) then it should stay there, no?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

ngazidja wrote:But these things shouldn't make a difference to the output, only to the input. If the £ sign is in the document and correctly coded (in Unicode?) then it should stay there, no?
Quite right- none of the language settings should affect characters after they've already been entered and saved to a file.

However, are these files saved as plain text or RTF? If they are plain text, then make sure the text encoding is properly set in the Open File dialog when you open the file. It may be that you (or Express) saved the documents using a text encoding you weren't expecting.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Also, if you've still got a copy of Express on your disk, do the files display properly there?
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

Ok, the file I was originally referring to has been autosaved by Pro, so the strange characters are there even when I open with NWE. BUT, I found another file, opened it with Pro, there are no £, € or accents, but curly quotes came up as ",Äú" and "‚Äù". I went back and opened the file again with NWE and the curly quotes are still there, they're fine. So there's some sort of problem with Pro reading some non-alphanumeric characters created by NWE.

However, I went and created a test file, using NWE 3 and the characters came through fine. So perhaps it was only files created in NWE 2.7? Or perhaps a saving error (but I very rarely change the saving format, I leave them as suggested, which is usually rtf).

But here's a funny thing. Looking at my files in list view I see that my files created in NWE 2.7 (ie before I installed either NW3 or Pro) have three different types. And they all open differently with Pro:

"Nisus Writer Express Document": Pro says this format is unrecognised and do I want to open it as plain text?

"Rich Text Format for older applications": Pro opens these, but characters are awry.

"Rich Text Format (RTF) (Preferred)": Pro doesn't seem to have any trouble with these.

What's up? How does Pro (or is it OSX?) decide on the file types? As I say, I only change the saving format if I have a specific reason to do so, and although I can't be completely sure, I'm 99% sure I didn't choose anything for any of these files and they should have saved automatically as RTF. The only possible difference is that the files were created by cut and paste from an email or website so might have originally been plain text.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

New documents saved by Pro are always saved as RTF unless you choose otherwise. RTF should preserve the characters you've typed into the file without any problem.

Probably the best way to diagnose what's going on is for us to see the files. Could you send me one (or more) of the offending files via the menu Help > Send Feedback? Thanks.