Slow opening of NWE 2.7

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
jhecht

Slow opening of NWE 2.7

Post by jhecht »

I use NWE both for writing articles and taking notes, so it's open virtually all the time, along with a few other programs, including Eudora, Safari, Acrobat Reader, and often Camino, MS Word, etc. This means I switch back and forth, often with several documents open in NWE. When I have been in a couple of other applications and then return to NWE (which is running, but not the front applications), NWE is very slow to open itself and the documents that were open in it. This is a real annoyance because I want to be able to switch modes quickly and start taking notes when someone phones, but NWE feels stalled, and sometimes takes a minute or two. On rare occaision it crashes. I had it set to save automatically every 2 minutes (the local power company had serious problems for a while), but I just increased that to 10 minutes.

I'm running OS/X 10.3.9 on a dual 1.8-GHz G5 Powerbook with 512 MBytes of memory. Any idea might be causing the delay? Is NWE 3.0 any faster?
Thanks
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Increase memory!

-Steve
dshan

Post by dshan »

Yep, increase RAM, 512MB is bare minimum for Macs nowadays (even running 10.3.9) and given all the apps you're running at once it's probably swapping it's heart out. 1GB is the minimum you should install, preferably more. The delay when switching back to NWX is caused by Nisus having to be swapped back into RAM from disk by OS X after having been swapped out to accomodate all the other apps you're running.

P.S. I assume you meant to say you are using a dual-G5 PowerMac, not a PowerBook, as there were never any G5 PowerBooks released and certainly no dual-CPU models. In that case you can certainly up your RAM considerably.
jhecht

Post by jhecht »

I boosted memory on the PowerMac to 2.5 gig and it makes an impressive difference for Nisus Writer Express. NWE seems much more sensitive to memory swapping issues than my other software.