True vs slanted italics

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ralph strauch

True vs slanted italics

Post by ralph strauch »

Nisus seems to indiscriminately mix up true italics (oblique font) and bold, and the old Mac OS slanted italics and thickened bold. Choosing italics or bold from the format menu creates old style slanted/thickened formatting that doesn't show up in the Font Panel. The Font Panel, though, can be used to select true italics and bold. But if I select true italics with the font panel, applying the formatting command twice will remove it and then apply slanted italics.

The slanted and thickened italics and bold are old technologies that aren't even recognized by some cocoa application. I'd like to be able to move away from them and use true italic and bold fonts, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this in Nisus Pro without using the Font Panel for all such formatting. How about an option to allow the user to select which type of italics/bold formatting the Formatting Menu and cmd-I/cmd-B apply?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NWP will always use proper/true italic and bold typefaces if they are available. However, it seems there's a bug in the updating of the system font panel that would make one believe otherwise. If you use the Character palette that is built into NWP it will show you the actual typeface being used.