TOC in NWP documents and DevonthinkPro

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
philippe99

TOC in NWP documents and DevonthinkPro

Post by philippe99 »

Hi.
I have several NWP RTF files with TOC.
I store these documents in DevonThinkPro databases.
Of course, the internal DTPro viewer cannot show the TOC.
However, either if open the document with NWPro from within DTPro or drag the document to the Desktop and then open it with NWP, the TOC has disappeared.

Is the TOC stored in a RTF special part/tag/attribute of the document that DTPro is not able to import ?

Thanks
Philippe
Mac Mini Intel 10.8
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: TOC in NWP documents and DevonthinkPro

Post by martin »

philippe99 wrote:Is the TOC stored in a RTF special part/tag/attribute of the document that DTPro is not able to import ?
This is most likely the case. Applications that do not support a particular feature will generally strip that information from the RTF file if it is opened and re-saved by that application.
philippe99

Post by philippe99 »

Martin,
Just had a discussion with Christian Crunenberg of DevonTechnologies

I open the NWP file (the one with TOC) in TextEdit, change some stuff and then resave it: no TOC when reopened in NWP.

Does it mean that the method you use to store the TOC in the RTF file is not "compatible" to Mac OS X's text engine ? Perhaps because the Mac text engine is rather "poor" as far as functionnalities are concerned ?

Martin, this is not a criticism at all :wink: , but I would like to know; if yes, the TOC is "specially" stored in a NWP file -which is not at all a problem for me-, I would rather externally index my files from within DTPro rather than importing them directly in the database.

Thanks
Philippe
Mac Mini Intel 10.8
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Bonjour Philippe,
philippe99 wrote:I open the NWP file (the one with TOC) in TextEdit, change some stuff and then resave it: no TOC when reopened in NWP.
This is expected as TextEdit does not support TOC/indexing and thus will not be preserved in the resaved RTF file. Really this loss of information includes any features that TextEdit does not support, eg: stylesheets, floating graphics, etc.
Does it mean that the method you use to store the TOC in the RTF file is not "compatible" to Mac OS X's text engine ? Perhaps because the Mac text engine is rather "poor" as far as functionnalities are concerned ?

Martin, this is not a criticism at all :wink: , but I would like to know; if yes, the TOC is "specially" stored in a NWP file
There's nothing special or incompatible with the way we store TOC information in our RTF files. It just happens to be information that TextEdit skips over when it reads the files because the default OSX text engine does not support the feature. If you used TextEdit to open a ".doc" file saved by Word you'd also lose any TOC information contained therein.

Hopefully that makes some sense, cheers!
philippe99

Post by philippe99 »

martin wrote:Hopefully that makes some sense, cheers!
Tout à fait mon cher :)
Thanks for all.
Philippe
Mac Mini Intel 10.8