new version window

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
jeffisme

new version window

Post by jeffisme »

my wife is a user of express 2.7. she doesn't want to upgrade to 3.0. is there a way we can stop that upgrade notice window from appearing every time she starts NWE? It's pretty annoying and is not endearing nisus to her. Why not a "don't show this notice again" version?
r-sparks

Post by r-sparks »

On the same topic, is there anywhere that the 2.7 version can be re-downloaded for those of us who have installed 3.0 but don't want to pay the upgrade fee? Or isn't this an option?

Jeff, I haven't seen the error message you're talking about (I might do should I be able to return to 2.7), but I suspect it wouldn't appear if Nisus Express was blocked from checking for updates. This can be done in preferences. If the error messages keep appearing, you might have to delete the Nisus plist file. This will wipe your preferences, so be sure to deselect the check for updates option as soon as you start it for the first time after wiping the plist file.

If it still comes up with the upgrade message you might have to use an application like Little Snitch, which blocks all programs from going online unless you give explicit permission.

http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

Little Snitch is a good idea because it should help protect against future malware.
r-sparks

Post by r-sparks »

r-sparks wrote:On the same topic, is there anywhere that the 2.7 version can be re-downloaded for those of us who have installed 3.0 but don't want to pay the upgrade fee? Or isn't this an option?
Never mind - I've found it.

Version 2.7 (and older versions) can be found here:

http://www.nisus.com/Express/oldversions.php
r-sparks

Re: new version window

Post by r-sparks »

jeffisme wrote:my wife is a user of express 2.7. she doesn't want to upgrade to 3.0. is there a way we can stop that upgrade notice window from appearing every time she starts NWE? It's pretty annoying and is not endearing nisus to her. Why not a "don't show this notice again" version?
I've just checked and I was right. Click Nisus Writer Express -> Preferences and then remove the check from Application Updates: Automatically check for new version. This is on the General screen.

I think it's safe to say that this is now a useless feature unless you want to pay $30 for version 3.0, so disabling it does no harm.
jeffisme

upgrade window

Post by jeffisme »

many thanks. my wife will now be re-endeared.
i, on the other hand, after years of waiting in vain for the ability to add comments to my documents, have given up and have moved back to Word.
r-sparks

Re: upgrade window

Post by r-sparks »

jeffisme wrote:many thanks. my wife will now be re-endeared.
i, on the other hand, after years of waiting in vain for the ability to add comments to my documents, have given up and have moved back to Word.
Page 08 is pretty good for comments. I believe it can even open commented Word docs, which is a first for any word processor as far as I know, on any platform (some can open the docs but have dreadful commenting functionality, like Openoffice).

I speak here as a former literary editor who made heavy use of the commenting functionality of Word under Windows.