Looking for Greener Pastures

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
nagha

Looking for Greener Pastures

Post by nagha »

Greetings,

As a long suffering Nisus user, the lack of response from the company is disheartening. I've eagerly awaited news of a real Nisus product for Mac OS X. It's unfortunate that the company has decided to ignore the one real market that supported them throughout the years.

I believe that we start voting with our dollars and support developers that will listen to us and work with them to develop an application that fullfills our needs. Even in it's immature state, Mellel seems to be a better product with responsive developers.

Instead of looking to Nisus, it's time to move on.

Neema Agha
Fireball1244

Post by Fireball1244 »

The problem with Mellel is that it's a hideous eyesore. I like Metal, but it uses Metal in a very non-standard, hideously ugly way. I want my word processor to stay out of my way. Nisus, even with the featureset of a mentally challenged gopher, does that.

I only want three things from Nisus:

1. Footnotes.
2. Text/Paragraph Styles.
3. SMART QUOTES!

I'd also like to see proper image support, tables and lists, but those are all secondary (I could create a list with Paragraph Styles).

If those features aren't in Nisus Writer Express in a version I don't have to pay for (I paid for the anemic 1.0), then I won't ever be sending Nisus any more money. But if they give me those features as an upgrade to 1.0, I will write my novel in Nisus (I'm already doing that, actually) and sing their praises everywhere I can, from the Foreward to my website to my weblog to conversations with friends.

I'm waiting, Nisus. Please, give me my $70 worth.
JBL

Post by JBL »

Fireball1244 wrote: I only want three things from Nisus:

1. Footnotes.
2. Text/Paragraph Styles.
3. SMART QUOTES!
I want a whole lot from Nisus but I would be really really really happy with just Text/Paragraph Styles and the ability to correctly read Classic Nisus files.
catspec

New User

Post by catspec »

As a new user of Nisus Express, I await the upgrades with anticipation. While I am a new user of Nisus, however, I am a long time user of Windows word processors, from pre-Word Perfect through several versions of WORD. I am a new Mac user as of last February, and I have tried every word processor out there for Mac except WORD. I want to avoid WORD if possible. Appleworks was O.K. but a bit klutzy, Mellel was absolutely the most odd thing. It is not a programmer editor, yet it requires way too much from the user. I could not even get it to default to just writing a normal letter with indented paragraphs - one would think that would be the basic mode. So away it went and I tried Nisus. Nisus is by far the best of the lot, and it looks great and actually works without pain and grief, but I have no history with any former Nisus incarnations so cannot judge the change. So I am useing it and waiting for upgrades to come. It's either wait or buy Microsoft Office for Mac. So hang in there. One thing - Nisus needs more PR - a few more ads here and there could not hurt. There are new Mac users you know - and they need to know what is out there without rooting all around in techy magazines and spending a lot of time on the web.
KarenH

Post by KarenH »

I very much agree with the comments about Mellel and its usability. I took a look at it and, while I was impressed with its functionality, I couldn't help thinking that it had a very steep learning curve.

While Nisus Express is very nice, there are a couple of things I'd really like to see it offer:
1. Support for tables
2. The ability to insert non-keyboard characters from fonts

However, I'm very impressed with the ease of use it has along with unique features like the document manager. I'm keen to see what new features Nisus adds.
natskatta

Post by natskatta »

KarenH wrote:2. The ability to insert non-keyboard characters from fonts
Similar things can be done with the Character Palette, which is available system-wide in any Cocoa application.
See :arrow: http://www.ncmug.org/tips/character_palette.html on how to activate.
KarenH

Post by KarenH »

natskatta wrote:
KarenH wrote:2. The ability to insert non-keyboard characters from fonts
Similar things can be done with the Character Palette, which is available system-wide in any Cocoa application.
See :arrow: http://www.ncmug.org/tips/character_palette.html on how to activate.
Thanks very much - that did indeed do the trick :). The character palette deserves a bit more publicity in Apple's documentation, it isn't at all obvious how to switch it on and what it does otherwise (or at least it wasn't to me!).