new line only after return and space chrs

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
mfrance

new line only after return and space chrs

Post by mfrance »

I wrote a 6-million characters concordance using MW 6.5; the (justified) text consists mostly of bibliographical references made up of an abbreviation followed by numbers, with full stops diving them, e.g: AA.12.23.4
I want to shift the file to NWP, but I've found that when a reference occurs by the end of a line, NWP (unlike NW 6.5) splits them, leaving the letters at the end of the line and putting the digits at the beginning of the following one, e.g.: AA.[new line]12.23.4
Does anybody know if there'a way to avoid this, i.e. to have a new line beginning ONLY after a return or space character?

Marco
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Marco, I'm sorry to say that there's no way for you to change this right now. However, I'd consider this bad behavior by the typesetter and will file a bug that we change it. Thanks for letting us know.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

There would need to be some sort of optional arrangement -- perhaps with the default being "No break" in the case of a mixed letters and numbers and periods string, but with a user definable option of "Break at period/fullpoint" available for the case where you wanted a break for line wrapping with something like a long URL.

Actually, the case gets more complex -- a string like a URL will break at a slash (and I don't know what else). That might not be desirable if it wraps dropping just a couple of characters of a long string to the next line. That needs to be catered for too.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

For cases when you want to break text apart, you can always use a zero-width space (U+200B).

As for something like a URL, which might break in unsightly ways, we have filed away the feature "keep text together on same line".