Non-styled Glossary Entry

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
lawrencegoodman

Post by lawrencegoodman »

It seems like you can't insert text from a glossary without it coming along with a style. The problem is that this overrides the style in the document.

Suppose I want to insert the glossary entry Peterson. How do I make it so Peterson will be formatted in the existing style of the paragraph?

Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Lawrence,

Glossary entries will always expand with whatever styles/attributes are applied to them in the glossary file. You have two options:

1. Select the entire glossary entry and choose Format > Remove Attributes and Styles.
2. Use a QuickFix entry instead, which always take the attributes of the surrounding text.

I hope that helps.
lawrencegoodman

Yes of course, Quick Fix. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks.
GBeurlen

Post by GBeurlen »

Hi Martin,

this is not the easiest way to deal with the problem, a problem I have too, as I use glossaries very frequently. Fortunately, the formatting options of the documents where I most need glossaries, are very simple. So I may format the glossaries with the same font and paragraph styles I use in the documents (the glossary expansions are almost all italized or bold).

QuickFix entries are not the ideal solution for my purpose and the great number of glossary entries I have.

Regards,

G. Beurlen
Rio de Janeiro RJ Brazil
lawrencegoodman

You might want to try TextExpander which is not free, but works well with Nisus Pro (as far as I know) and is well suited to holding many, many glossary items.

http://www.smileonmymac.com/textexpander/
GBeurlen

Post by GBeurlen »

Hi,

thank you for your suggestion. In the times of NW Express I tried both TextExpander and Typinator. Both did not meet exactly what I expected. So I continued to use Nisus Writer Classic for the documents I produced at work... in the hope that NW Pro would provide glossaries.

QuickFix is OK if the text to expand does not have additional character formatting, different from the surrounding text. Which is exactly what I need: insert italized/bold/smallcaps words in an otherwise plain surrounding text.

The workaround I actually use is not to difficult to implement: the glossary entries are correctly formatted as character styles -- italic and/or bold, and/or small caps -- and the habitually used font/size styles.

If another font / size is needed in a document, the whole glossary can be easily reformatted with this style, the additional italic/bold/small caps remaining unchanged.

But, as I said, it is not as easy as it was in Nisus Writer Classic.

Regards,

G. Beurlen
Rio de Janeiro RJ Brazil