asterisk is killing me

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
samuelas

asterisk is killing me

Post by samuelas »

Dear friends,

Sometimes when I open a document, I find strangely placed asterisks have been added to words or in between words... Perhaps more frequently with footnotes.

What's up with this? Very annoying. I just recently switched back from Mellel: some welcome these asterisks are giving me...

Sam
Brooke6

Post by Brooke6 »

Hi Sam,
I have noticed this also, but was in such a rush on those documents that I just deleted the offending asterisks and met my deadline.

Yes, most or all of them were in footnotes. As I recall, they were usually inside of a word, perhaps after the first letter of the word.

My own documents have this history: created in NW Classic, opened and saved in NWP 1.0 and then opened and saved in NWP 1.01. They have stayed in .RTF format since being opened and saved in NWP.

Of course, the documents have undergone other activity as I revise them, for example making changes to styles and to content and so on.

Hopefully somebody else will chime in with this asterisk issue!

Best,
Brooke
Hamid

Re: asterisk is killing me

Post by Hamid »

samuelas wrote:Sometimes when I open a document, I find strangely placed asterisks have been added to words or in between words... Perhaps more frequently with footnotes.
I noticed that as well. For sometime after opening a document, I would routinely do Find to make sure I zap them. They seem to have gone now, though.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I've never seen this problem before and don't have any idea what could cause it. Next time the problem occurs would any of you be so good as to send the document in for testing using the menu Help > Send Feedback? Thanks.
samuelas

Post by samuelas »

I submitted a document with this problem to Nisus a couple of days ago. Since it seemed like at least a couple of other people had this problem, I will let you know what they come up with.
Hamid

redundant asterisks

Post by Hamid »

I had one redundant asterisk yesterday with the latest public beta. It was in a footnote text that I had last edited before closing the document.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks to Sam for submitting a file via feedback. The asterisks bleed into your document whenever you save and close your file when the selection is zero length and rests in the body of a footnote.

I'll file a bug, but please be aware that even if we do fix this, asterisks that have already bled into your document will have to be manually removed, sorry.
samuelas

Post by samuelas »

What a peculiar bug. I just recreated it at home. Now that I know what causes this, it won't be half as annoying (and I can better avoid it).

Thanks.
Phrasikleia

Me too

Post by Phrasikleia »

Glad I found this thread. Those asterisks were driving me crazy.

This is an egregious bug. The mere act of saving and closing while the cursor happens to be resting within the footnotes will introduce an extraneous character! Since I work with lots of footnotes, some of which can be quite lengthy, the chances are quite high that I'll end up with these rogue asterisks plaguing my work when I least expect it.
darthkt

asterisks, and removal

Post by darthkt »

I have been bit by this bug as well.

however, it's fairly fixable. Do a search for the ol' *. When it finds the first one, switch to the document, and delete. then hit the command-g to go to the next while still in the document window, and delete. bam bam bam! annoying but at least a quick fix.
samuelas

Post by samuelas »

Sure it's fixable. But this is one heck of a bug! Am I missing something? Why has this not been fixed?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This will be fixed in the next update we release. Sorry for any trouble it's caused.