Problem with NWE 3 ruler

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
cgc

Problem with NWE 3 ruler

Post by cgc »

I tried NWE 3 and NWP 1 demos and found an irritating bug with the rulers where it doesn't redraw properly after I adjust the margins or hanging indent. Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

BTW, NWE 2.7 doesn't exhibit this behavior.
craigminah

Post by craigminah »

Am I the only one with this problem? I've linked to a screen capture (movie) showing my problem with the ruler bar and the blue indent/outdent things. Notice I have an "extra one" which goes away when I show then hide the toolbar?

Movie showing problem: http://www.craigminah.com/NWP101_Leopard.mov

BTW, the file I used to create this problem is attached: http://www.craigminah.com/NWP101_Leopard.rtf

Can you tell this bothers me? I'm using NWP 1.01 (registered) with Leopard on my MacPro. This bug wasn't present in NWE 2.7 BTW.

Thanks.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

Hi Craigh,

I have seen occasional ruler refresh problems, but they weren't as bad as the one you mention here. Does the problem persist in NWP 1.0.2 beta? I'm asking since that beta is supposed to address a couple of issues that may arise when running NWP 1.0.1 under Leopard. I've just tried changing the rulers in your document, but NWP 1.0.2 does not exhibit any of the problems shown in your movie.
craigminah

Post by craigminah »

mrennie wrote:Hi Craigh,

I have seen occasional ruler refresh problems, but they weren't as bad as the one you mention here. Does the problem persist in NWP 1.0.2 beta? I'm asking since that beta is supposed to address a couple of issues that may arise when running NWP 1.0.1 under Leopard. I've just tried changing the rulers in your document, but NWP 1.0.2 does not exhibit any of the problems shown in your movie.
I have the exact same problems with the rulers with NWP 1.02 beta (and NWE 3).
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

I can't reproduce this in Beta 1.02. Not to say that it is not a valid problem, just not showing up on my rig.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
gemboy27

Post by gemboy27 »

I couldn't reproduce it in 3.0 either --- with the document the link takes you to
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
craigminah

Post by craigminah »

I downloaded the document I uploaded and have the same problem over and over. I'm using OS X 10.5 on my MacPro.

I tried moving the indent/outdent on question #1 in the attached document and all looks fine. Try it on question #1 then go to another question and you'll see my problem. It seems to happen after you've messed with a couple of the questions indent/outdents.

I use this a lot for hanging indents and it drives me nuts.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I've tried to reproduce this problem, but I just can't. Do you have a series of steps (or another movie) whose first step is "open the document from file" that always reproduces the problem? If so, that would definitely help.
craigminah

Post by craigminah »

martin wrote:I've tried to reproduce this problem, but I just can't. Do you have a series of steps (or another movie) whose first step is "open the document from file" that always reproduces the problem? If so, that would definitely help.
I can't find a trend or pattern but it is reproducible. Just select different paragraphs and move the top and bottom indent/outdent plus that little rectangular thing that moves. Sometimes I open the document and it won't ever mess up but usually I have the above-mentioned problem with the rulers.

This is similar to the bug I reported where NWP 1.01 said it couldn't save my document with no reason given after I added a hierarchal numbered list (e.g. 1., 1.1., 1.1.1., etc.). I sent the file to you but because NWP couldn't save it you got an older version. I got a reply from you saying "can't reproduce" which I assumed meant you didn't pursue it any further.

These two bugs exist. The fact one forces me to lose my work is significant.

Does Nisus track these "unsubstantiated" bugs?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Yes we do. Internally we've already made some code changes that may prevent the ruler redrawing bug from occurring. The trouble is that without a reproducible case we can't know if we've solved the problem or not.
craigminah

Post by craigminah »

martin wrote:Yes we do. Internally we've already made some code changes that may prevent the ruler redrawing bug from occurring. The trouble is that without a reproducible case we can't know if we've solved the problem or not.
That's the annoying part, sometimes the ruler works perfectly but sometimes it doesn't. I cannot see a pattern and I'm tempted to leave iShowU (screen movie capture program) running every time I use NWP to find the root cause.

Thanks and I'll keep looking for a cause.