love it

Nisus Thesaurus, Nisus Writer Classic– this is the place for all other Nisus products.
gemboy27

love it

Post by gemboy27 »

That fact that the Nisus Theasaurus works in all my programs (so far) I love it, I think they should actually charge for the theasurus and give you the word processor... :lol:

I like the dictionary aspects of it, though it would be nice when you spell a word work, that there is a better list of words to choose from to see if the correct version is there.

gem*boy
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

For definitions, OmniDictionary searches more dictionaries, including a later edition of WordNet. However, I am dubious about the quality of WordNet's database. I might say, precisely and accurately, that I am jealous of my wife and envious of yours, but no one looking up the terms in WordNet would understand the distinction. Moreover, before encountering WordNet I never knew that, because I am envious of a friend's repertory of funny stories, therefore being around him is painful.
charles

Post by charles »

maurerc wrote:Moreover, before encountering WordNet I never knew that, because I am envious of a friend's repertory of funny stories, therefore being around him is painful.
Hmm. According to Nisus Thesaurus, "envious" is defined as:
envious (as in "covetous") adj. : showing extreme cupidity; painfully desirous of another's advantages; "he was never covetous before he met her"; "jealous of his success and covetous of his possessions"; "envious of their art collection"; "he was green with envy"

envious (as in "begrudging") adj. : that feels envy of another's possessions
Using the second definition (which is I think is closer to the way you are using the word), I double click on the word "envy." The first definition Thesaurus shows is:
envy (as in "resentment") n. : a feeling of grudging admiration and desire to have something possessed by another
I would say that if you are envious of your friend's repertoire of funny stories, then you have a grudging admiration of him and a desire to also possess such a repertoire.
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

There is nothing grudging about this, it is sheer admiration, and WordNet does supply a suitable definition of 'envy'. However, it does not provide such a definition of 'envious'.

One reason I mistrust WordNet is that I can find no discussion of its lexicological principles and methodology. Every serious dictionary has an introduction that explains how words were selected for inclusion but I can find nothing on <www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/>. Where is such information published?
wolfcreekadman

Post by wolfcreekadman »

If you want a serious thesaurus and dictionary, I would think you would be using Bartlett's Roget's (or equivalent) and a good college dictionary. The Nisus Thesaurus is one of the best programs I've found for quickly looking up a synomyn and antonym or a definition while I'm working on the computer. When I need subtle shading, then I use the big boys.
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

"A good college dictionary" is an oxymoron. More useful for quick look-ups are Webster's Third International or the Shorter Oxford, and the OED is surely essential for writing. Unfortunately, none of these is available on disk, at least not for a Mac. Bartlett's version of Roget I do not know but I am amused to see it marketed, as though this were an asset, as "a North American work with emphasis on contemporary idiom and usage." As for Nisus Thesaurus—considering how it defines "thesaurus" (apparently à la Bartlett), I do have a hard time taking it seriously.