NWE Cost Me My Job

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Matt

Post by Matt »

That is excellent, nice job. As discouraging as it is to run into such a nasty bug, it means a lot that you guys pounced on it so quickly.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Post by dave »

Matt, dshan, Paul Ingraham, james.paul, Peter Edwardsson.

Please contact me as soon as you can offline. I have a favor to ask ...

Dave

dave@nisus.com
dshan

Still Employed?

Post by dshan »

Well Matt 1.1.2 is out and the bug is dead; the only remaining question is - are you still employed? I hope so, good luck.
catman

Bugs

Post by catman »

This goes back to the original post. I hope you didn't lose your job, but to work on a job for 3 hrs and not manually save it? I think I would fire you, if I was the type of person that fired ppl.

C'mom, talk about blaming the machine.

--catman
Northscape

Disappearing documents

Post by Northscape »

Almost the exact same thing happened to me. I did a SAVE AS, then Command-S several times from 10:44 to around 1:30 when I tried to make a shortcut for strikethrough. I got the spinning beachball, finally had to force quit, and the last recorded save was at 10:44. I lost the three pages I had written after that time, and I'm mad, mad, mad.
dshan

Re: Disappearing documents

Post by dshan »

Northscape wrote:Almost the exact same thing happened to me. I did a SAVE AS, then Command-S several times from 10:44 to around 1:30 when I tried to make a shortcut for strikethrough. I got the spinning beachball, finally had to force quit, and the last recorded save was at 10:44. I lost the three pages I had written after that time, and I'm mad, mad, mad.
This is a very serious problem and obviously needs immediate attention. If Nisus are going to be able to find out what's going on they're going to need more information about your setup:

1. What version of NWX is this?
2. What version of Mac OS X?
3. Do you have Autosave enabled? If so what save interval do you have set and what save option? (Overwrite existing files or to temporary backup files)
4. Is "Keep new documents in document manager without asking me" checked?
Northscape

Post by Northscape »

dshan wrote:
Northscape wrote:Almost the exact same thing happened to me. I did a SAVE AS, then Command-S several times from 10:44 to around 1:30 when I tried to make a shortcut for strikethrough. I got the spinning beachball, finally had to force quit, and the last recorded save was at 10:44. I lost the three pages I had written after that time, and I'm mad, mad, mad.
This is a very serious problem and obviously needs immediate attention. If Nisus are going to be able to find out what's going on they're going to need more information about your setup:

1. What version of NWX is this?
2. What version of Mac OS X?
3. Do you have Autosave enabled? If so what save interval do you have set and what save option? (Overwrite existing files or to temporary backup files)
4. Is "Keep new documents in document manager without asking me" checked?
Sorry, I realize that I didn't give enough information in my post to this board. I was extremely upset when I fired it off and I left out some important details. However, I did send a message to Nisus on their feedback page in which I gave all that information. One of the annoying things about Nisus is that they don't copy your message when they auto-respond to your feedback and you can't send yourself a copy. Consequently, I don't know what version of NWX I was using because I have already deleted it. However, I downloaded a demo version some months ago (maybe even a year or more) but only began using it seriously in the last two or three days. It was not v. 3 but an earlier version -- 2 something. I have since downloaded the latest demo version. I really liked NWX and intended to buy it until this happened.

My Mac OS is version 10.4.11. Autosave was enabled in NWX and it was supposed to be saving at 5 minute intervals. A little message at the bottom left of the screen indicated that it was autosaving but I have no idea where. I am not sure what save option I had chosen, or even if I was able to choose one in that version of NWX. "Keep new documents in document manager" was not checked because in MSWord I was never able to delete a file from the Work Menu and I was afraid the same thing would happen here. I think now that I probably made a big mistake.

It suddenly occurs to me that my file was probably being saved to a temporary file, and that when NWX crashed the backup went with it. I tried to find it with Spotlight but nothing came up. I'll switch now to overwrite the existing file, although sometimes I like to check the version immediately previous .

I appreciate your reply. Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Northscape wrote:Consequently, I don't know what version of NWX I was using because I have already deleted it.
The feedback report you sent in indicates you were using NWX 2.0.1. Since you've not bought a license for version 2.x I strongly recommend downloading version 3.0.1.
Autosave was enabled in NWX and it was supposed to be saving at 5 minute intervals. A little message at the bottom left of the screen indicated that it was autosaving but I have no idea where.
Unfortunately the version you were using doesn't autosave properly under Tiger (OSX 10.4). NWX 2.0 was released well before Tiger was out and doesn't really support it. I'm very sorry this had to bite you in such a bad way.
Northscape

Post by Northscape »

martin wrote:
Northscape wrote:Consequently, I don't know what version of NWX I was using because I have already deleted it.
The feedback report you sent in indicates you were using NWX 2.0.1. Since you've not bought a license for version 2.x I strongly recommend downloading version 3.0.1.
Autosave was enabled in NWX and it was supposed to be saving at 5 minute intervals. A little message at the bottom left of the screen indicated that it was autosaving but I have no idea where.
Unfortunately the version you were using doesn't autosave properly under Tiger (OSX 10.4). NWX 2.0 was released well before Tiger was out and doesn't really support it. I'm very sorry this had to bite you in such a bad way.
You're forgiven. I knew there was a new version out there. I should have downloaded it. Now I have. Thanks.