Can Nisus do this?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
mjfriedman

Can Nisus do this?

Post by mjfriedman »

Hi,

Could someone kindly advise whether NW Pro can replicate, either out of the box, or by easily created macro, two teeny Word shortcuts that I've grown to rely on heavily.

1) Trigger contextual spelling menu from the keyboard (In Word, Alt-F7)

2) move cursor to last 3 or so locations, again via the keyboard (Cmd-Alt-Z)

Thank you so much!

Michael
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

1. If this were currently possible it would be because OSX provides it. I did some searching but didn't find any answers- anyone else know if OSX has a keyboard shortcut to show the contextual menu?

2. This isn't possible. You could approximate the behavior using macros that generated bookmarks in your document, but it wouldn't be automatic. That is, you'd have to manually run a macro each time you wanted to create one of these prior editing locations.
mjfriedman

Post by mjfriedman »

Thank you for your reply, Martin. Obviously these are not huge features, just a couple of tidbits that I find useful when working in MS Word. I'm surely no technical wiz, but if Microsoft can implement them, the task's not impossible. That's why I wondered whether NWPro might, with a reasonable amount of end-user tweaking, replicate them.

Michael
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

In Word 2004 on my system, the contextual menu invoked by alt-F7 shows entries related to spell checking. Otherwise, Word invokes contextual menus by CTRL-clicking.

-Steve
OS X 10.4.11, PB G4
Last edited by ssampler on 2007-11-26 13:02:40, edited 3 times in total.
mjfriedman

Post by mjfriedman »

Yes, exactly! I want to correct mispellings without removing my hands from the keyboard, viz. alt-F7; up/down arrow keys to highlight the correct spelling from the spell check contextual menu; enter to make the correction; ctl-cmd-z to return the cursor to where I had been typing before noticing the error.
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

My mistake-I missed the 'spelling' part of your original post. You can invoke the spelling window and most spell-check commands with menu keyboard shortcuts. In the window, tabs and arrow keys will navigate the left-side panes. To create a macro that will set and remove a bookmark, see: http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2305.. Next, set a menu shortcut to invoke this macro (preferences-menu keys tab).

All of this is much more klunky than using Word's handy shortcuts, but might save you enough time to be worth the effort. If you really want to cut down on pointing and dragging, I suggest a combination of Launchbar and iKey

-Steve