Formatting cross-reference text

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Phil82

Formatting cross-reference text

Post by Phil82 »

Is there any way to make cross referenced text appear as italics automatically? For example I have Figure 1 bookmarked, and I would like the reference "see Figure 1" with Figure 1 being italics. I can manually do that, but I wondered if there was a way of making it so that cross referenced text would automatically be in italics.
Phrasikleia

I'm guessing no

Post by Phrasikleia »

I suppose you would need to be able to attach character styles to cross-reference instances automatically. That would be a nice feature, but it doesn't seem to exist in NWP, as far as I can tell. So you're probably stuck with manually applying a character style to those instances.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Yes, you'll have to manually apply the formatting you desire after you insert the cross-reference.
ptram

Post by ptram »

...until version 1.1, right? :-)

Paolo
Phil82

Post by Phil82 »

martin wrote:Yes, you'll have to manually apply the formatting you desire after you insert the cross-reference.
Ah, I thought so since there was no style for cross-references and I could find no way to create a style for them. New feature for version 1.1? Allowing us to define a custom style for cross references would be great.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm not sure I understand entirely what feature everyone would like to see added here. Do you just want an "italic" checkbox in the insert cross-reference dialog? Or do you want all inserted cross-references to automatically have a particular character style applied, again perhaps via a checkbox in the dialog?
ptram

Post by ptram »

Martin, your second solution seems to me the best one. This way,

- if you want the cross-reference to follow the same character style of the surrounding text, you uncheck the "Use Cross-reference Character Style" box;
- if you want to use a particular style, like an enphasis, you check the above box.

A "Cross-reference" character style could be automatically generated when inserting the first reference (as you do with TOCs).

Paolo
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the clarification Paolo, I'll file a feature request. Cheers!