Customizable Background Color in Page View?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
jb

Customizable Background Color in Page View?

Post by jb »

I am so used to a gentle blue background that I can barely stand to look at the inescapable white of Page View.

Any chance of being able to change this?

Thanks
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Sorry, but there is no way to change the background color in Page view. Only the Draft and Full Screen views allow for this.
ptram

Post by ptram »

...and your forum does have a gentle blue background... :-)

Paolo
jb

Post by jb »

Ah yes, if only I could do everything on the Forum! 8)

Thanks Martin.
I meant to ask whether it might be possible...one day...
Having no idea what's involved in such things, it's all too easy to suppose that nothing more than flicking a switch is required to "turn on" the colors here. But I realize that it might be more complicated.

I used NW Classic for years and among the many features I miss in NWPro is this one.

Cheers
Nick Sloan

Post by Nick Sloan »

martin wrote:Sorry, but there is no way to change the background color in Page view. Only the Draft and Full Screen views allow for this.
The question as I understand it was not can you do it now, but is it likely to be possible in the future?

Myself I would cheerfully swap half of the existing color customizabilities for the ability to choose an off-white background colour in Page view. Believe it or not, it is one of the few things holding me back from converting to NWP. Please may we be told whether this is on the list, or whether the feature has been vetoed?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Adding a feature to change the page view background color is not impossible, but I believe the last time it was discussed we decided that page view should remain white since it should represent the printed version. I can bring the idea up again.
Nick Sloan

Post by Nick Sloan »

Thanks Martin. I see the logic of this position, but I’d be grateful if you would bring it up again, because I believe that there are cogent counter-arguments:

• The same reasons for the desirability of colour options in draft view (relieving eye strain, obscure psychological preferences) apply just as much in page view.
• There are no grounds to assume that the printed version will be on white paper.
• Users who object to a coloured background in page view are not obliged to use it.

Very similar arguments were used when this question was raised in relation to Mellel’s implementation of colour backgrounds. At present it is a significant feature which Mellel has and Nisus lacks.
thewolfgang

Post by thewolfgang »

I quite agree about being able to customize the color of the page in Page View. It makes writing so much more enjoyable. Otherwise, why would we have bought Nisus in the first place?

However, I understand that it presents some technical difficulties. It is admirable, therefore, that it is possible to customize the color of Document Views under the Appearances tab of Preferences. I quite enjoy the results!

Laurence
jb

Re: Customizable Background Color in Page View?

Post by jb »

Periodically I check in to see whether the current version of NWPro allows custom background color in Page View.
I see that it still doesn't.

It's now been 7 months since Martin told us he would bring this idea up again, so I thought I'd ask whether this idea has been discarded altogether.
martin wrote:Adding a feature to change the page view background color is not impossible, but I believe the last time it was discussed we decided that page view should remain white since it should represent the printed version. I can bring the idea up again.

It may sound odd to you, but the compulsory white background of Page View makes using NW enough of a nuisance for me that I've turned to Mellel. I say this as a long-time user of NW Classic (which, of course, did allow custom background color!).

I bring this up again now in part because it seems that it must be a relatively simple matter and because Nick has exposed (I think) the flaw in the logic that was offered to dismiss this idea. Indeed, custom background color surely allows for a white background, should anyone want that. We're talking about adding an option here, not making color cumpulsory.

Any news on this front?

Many thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This feature is definitely not off the table- actually it's filed in the feature request system as something to add. However, when the feature will actually be implemented and available for your use I couldn't say, sorry.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi Martin -

here we are again - the missing Graphic Layer: I would like to be able to write on a letterhead PDF instead of a white paper. Imagine doing the layout of your letterhead in a layout program, saving as PDF and using this PDF instead of the now white paper only - for me and others I can think of that would be a killer feature.

Again my two feature requests:

(1) Graphic Layer
(2) Vertical Ruler

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4